1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Funny Smell...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by nobodywonder, Nov 30, 2010.

1. nobodywonder

nobodywonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2001 prius, with over 100,000 miles. A day ago it would not start at all. Not even lights. So i replaced the 12v battery. Then reset it. It starts now but the caution light is lit and its making a funny smell. DOes any one have any idea what might be causing this. I am affraid to drive it to a dealer I don't want to make it worse. It does start now and does drive.

Thank you!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Without the diagnostic codes, there is no easy way to tell what is going on. But if the problem has cleared, restarting the car three times will let the "check engine" light go out. The codes will remain and may, within limits, be readable.

Ordinary, over-the-counter, OBD scanners, they have to be ISO-9141 compatible, can read out emissions related codes. This is better than nothing BUT there can be multiple, at least three codes, stored in the hybrid vehicle, engine and battery control computers.

Let me suggest reading the thread about the ScanGauge. If it makes sense, this would be a good tool for reading out the codes and learning more about your car.

As for bad smells, the cabin air filter is located behind the glove box. If you can figure out how to remove the glove box, you can pull out the cabin air filter and see if it needs cleaning or replacement:
    [​IMG]
    It has been a while but I remember having to slide some plastic pins that hinges the glove box.

Welcome to the forum but I'm wondering, do you consider yourself somewhat technical? For example, would you change the oil or plugs? Change tires? Swap out the engine? The reason I ask is it makes it easier to share information without going too technical or 'talking down.'

Bob Wilson