1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Furthest Distance to Next Nearest Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Prii in the Bay Area are becoming more common I think than the VW Bugs were back in the 60s (and that's saying something because those Bugs were ubiquitous as flies at a picnic). This morning I kept loose track of Prii sharing the freeway enroute from Alameda to South San Francisco and never got more out of sight from some other Prius than about 15 seconds before seeing another. They're so common I often spot them in pairs (my own Prius making the pair a triplet for the moment of "togetherness"). So I got to wondering what the maximum distance would ever be between the furthest separated pair of Prii in the Bay Area and I'd estimate it's less than 1000 yards in the region bordered by the Skyline drives on the peninsula and the east bay hills, and down to less than 300 yards on the freeways.

So what's the pack density in your area? Tight enough you could walk on the roofs of Prii from Pasadena to Oxnard without a break in stride, or is your Prius a lonely outcast in a wilderness of Detroit iron, its nearest neighboring Prius two states away?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]455349[/snapback]</div>
    NJ isn't that dense yet, although some may disagree. There are now 5 in the office lot and I've seen a couple in the neighborhood. I think there is a silver one on my street.

3. SweetPri

SweetPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Trip from Nashville to Memphis and back, 400+ miles. Saw one red one going down and a red one coming back. Both were red so it might have been the same one. Once back in Nashville city limits I saw 3.

I'm the only one in my work parking lot. It's lonely on this side of town.

4. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]455349[/snapback]</div>
    We can't claim anything like that in Boise, but they're getting thicker & thicker. 6 at the office (one is an '02)
    and 2 new in the neighborhood this month. All the new Prii I'm seeing are the touring model.

Saturday we went to the annual Greek Festival and parked our '07 Barcelona Red Touring behind a white hummer h2 which was behind an '07 Barcelona Red Touring. Hummer sandwich! (Wish we'd brought the camera.)

5. jim0266

jim0266 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am in Akron, Ohio. Someone on my street has a blue Prius. This weekend in Cleveland I saw two Prius' parked next to each other (and mine was about 8 spaces from them). Saw a Prius outside my work today and last week at lunch I saw two Prius. Now that I look for them I am seeing them everywhere.

6. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I like in Kelseyville, Ca, which is in a pretty damn red county for CA, and I still see 3-4 Priuses on my morning drive...

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nothing is going to be as dense as the bay area. Here in Ventura/LA county I see one about ever 1-2 minutes one the freeway going the opposite direction. Often I'll be in a twosome, but a threesome is rare.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 15 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]462747[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. Oh, wait, are we still talking about cars?

9. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A red one at the 1st house past our condos. Someone in a Silver Pine Mica frequently picks up my across the street neighbor.

I see a few everyday, in Atlanta. I have managed to park next to quite a few at the store and post office.

A went to see a friend I had not seen in a while. Her mother just bought a 2004 Prius. Another good friend of hers just bought a new black one. Her next door's neighbor sister bought one.

There's one in every family.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

You could hop from prii roof to car roof and never touch the ground around here. Even in '03 when I got my '04 they were noticeable in quantity. Do you think it's follow the leader or that word is out about an exceptional vehicle?

Toyota's long-term view is paying off handsomely. As a corporation it must be nice to set the trend instead of trying to 'catch up', all the while the goal post keeps moving into the future, while others are playing 'emergency' in the past.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see two around my neighborhood regularily.
    One, I think lives about 3 blocks down. The other one, I'm not sure, it just bips on by occasionally.

I saw a lovely blue one at Starbucks last week, I said Hi... she's had hers for 2 years!! How come I never saw them before ??? ;)

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i live in the state capital of Washington where they mandated 6 years ago that they would use alternative fuel vehicles if one were available that would fit its fleet's need. the city of Olympia followed suit a few years later. so with several hundred state and city owned Priuses, i would have to say, i see about 150-200 per day on my 6 mile commute. but i will admit driving past the dept of transportation's tumwater division where there are usually a dozen or so there plus the dept of health at the port where there are about 3 dozen makes it easy.

13. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually see 4 to 5 a day going to and from work, there are 3 others in our parking lot at work plus one in the lot at a different building. I live in a town of 5,000 and there are 3 or 4 there. Too bad there's no demand for hybrids B) The other day I saw one leaving the airport (MSP) with the state tax exempt plates, pulled up to check it out, it had on the side St Louis County (MN). This supprised me because St Louis co is in the MN iron range which is heavly unionised, you'd think they would insist on Detroit iron there.

14. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]455349[/snapback]</div>
    On my way to and from Skokie today I saw 5. A new record!

However, on the tollway during my commutes the other ones I see are often in the far left lane not getting good mileage while I am chugging along in the right hand lane. :eek:

15. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the immediate neighborhood there's a Driftwood Pearl a block and half west of the house, a Silver two blocks to the south, and a Silver Pine Mica two blocks to the east. There are at least 4 to 5 at work, and in my drive to work I regularly see at least 4, if not more, Prii. It seems that I have recently seen at least 5 or 6 anytime I'm out driving around. Of course, this is a small town in NM with a high number of environmentally conscious folks, and we seem to have more and more new Prii daily (and lots of Prii visitors from California, Texas, and other states).

16. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here in Woodbridge, VA, a bedroom community for Washington, DC, there are plenty. I haven't counted the number in my subdivision, but I can tell you there are quite a few. On the carpool lane at night, I have been amazed to find myself on occasion to be among as many as eight Prii in a group traveling south on the going home commute. Nary a day goes by that I don't encounter three or four either passing me or me passing them.

Dan

17. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in Seattle, Prii are as common as Starbucks. Last week I went up to the wrong car by mistake in the parking lot: A Prius of the same color as mine parked near by. And just yesterday as we walked back from the Fremont Solstice parade, we saw 12 Prii (in the space of half an hour) When we got to ours it was lucky 13 :D

18. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Prii within half a block:

North – 2, West – 3, East – 0, South – 1

19. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

depends on where i am.... around where i live.... not too many priuses/prii..... if i head "down the hill" i see more..... head toward LA i start seeing more and more....

20. glennsferryprius

glennsferryprius New Member

When I registered mine friday, I was asked if it was some kind of SUV, so there must not be many (and I have seen zero in my rural area). I may see one or two driving in Twin Falls, perhaps two or three passing through Boise on the freeway, and one or two on the trip from Boise to Ritzville Washington, and a half dozen in the 60 miles into Spokane. I have made this trip 4 times while waiting for my Prius to arrive. Spot the Prii became a game. Sure glad I have mine. I love my prius. I haven't felt this way about any car since my 57 Studebaker SilverHawk. Unlike my Hawk, which I had to sell when I won the draft lottery of 1971, I can't imagine the circumstance which would make me get rid of my Prius.