1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Martin Leduc

Martin Leduc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius geeks,

Yesterday I've remove the entire dash plastic cover to:

1- Understand the HowTo
    2- Prepare my cable path for my inverter and the marvelous Speed Bypass from your shop
    3- Check the avaliability to install switch into the accessories bay, near the light dimer

I would like to add a new circuit into my accessories fuse box to install 2 heat seats and my 1500W Inverter. Somes said: Hey, install directly from the battery, not sure... If my kids forgot to turned off the seat switch or inverter, they will dischard my battery. I definitely dont want that.

I've expect to use T-Tap and tap the 12V lighter socket into the middle Armrest box and I've check the Lighter 12V wires. It's very tiny for a heat resistance, I think...

I've take a quick look on the internal fuse box, it's look like a Nightmare to unplug it.

Need advice.

Thanks

Martin

2. Martin Leduc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I'm very surprized to didn't have any answer or advice on my topic.... I'm pretty sure that I'm not the first who want to do that....

Thanks in advance

Martin

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used one of these to tap into my dash fuse box, they work great. I actually tapped into one of the seat heater fuse locations for my foglights as DRLs project recently.

The only drawback to using these fuse taps is you can't put the fuse box cover back on, so I have mine in my glove box. ;)

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper forum. Maybe you'll also get better responses in the accessories and modifications forum.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It might help also if you gave more details. I am not sure what the Speed Bypass is or what kind of power it needs. I do not know why you need a 1500WATT inverter. I do not now know what fuse box you want to connect to. There is one under the hood and one under the dash. Here are my views based on the limited info you gave.

I am going to guess that the Speed Bypass lets you use the GPS with the car moving. I am sure this is a low power module that only needs power when the car is running. I would wire this to the internal fuse box. Connect it to accessory power in the pic below.

Based on your spec of 1500 watts I am going to have to assume you are running a hair drier or a toaster in your car while driving. Most laptop chargers are 60 to 90 watts, a cell phone charger might hit 2 watts. Not sure on your goals here.

[​IMG]

6. Martin Leduc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right. The ByPass is intend to let me use the Bluetooth, I dont have the GPS module my Android do it well, while I'm driving. It's more secured than dialed directly from the phone. You're right, it's a really low power consumption unit and why I've talk about it, it's to explain why I want to remove all the dash plastic. Nothing else ;)

Oh men :p, I'm like Homer Simpson when he's buy many crap for his car like Microwave Oven :D

[​IMG]

First thank you for the PIC. To be short, I'm a telco guy. My job is to go severals sites with many wired and wireless equipment consuming, when all are turned on, about 170W on the 12VDC circuit. I've try in the past an 120W Inverter but is was hard on the invertor hardware to keep constant 120VAC. So when I have plug my LapTop, Wireless equipments (about 3 or 4 depend the frequency I've to inspect), spectrum analyzer, my ethernet Switch (HP 2615-8-PoE) and all what I need, I confirm that I need a more powerfull invertor.

More, I'm really tired of freezing my nice person during winter surveys. So I intend to install heatseat.

The 1500W are at least same price than a 1000W so it's perfect for the next familly vacancy :p

So I've take a look on the Picture. To be honnest, it's what I really dont want to do. T-Tap to an other T-Tap and many split... I've plan to install a third fuse box for my needs, but if I can use the actual accessories fuse box, it will be more safe if I forgot to turned off somes unit. :oops:

It's remain somes sockets into the fuse box. It is possible to uses them? I've take a look on the TIS website (TIS), I dont know how to proceed.

I even considered to double the battery in trunk of the car to increase self-sufficiency, but I do not know and what will the impact on the dynamo charging.

I need advice on this, any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks for your answers.