1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuse for HID lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by xjustinx, Oct 10, 2010.

1. xjustinx

xjustinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What fuse do you change for your HID lights and where is the fuse? I just got a HID kit and i dont want to screw it up.

2. Strike67

Strike67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    lol how do I break this to you.... no?

Why would you replace a fuse? Please enlighten me

3. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You shouldn't have to replace any fuses. Maybe you're talking about a supplemental relay? You shouldn't really need a relay either as the stock headlight wiring in the Prius seems to run the latest 55W HID kits with ease. It should just be plug-n-play.

Did your kit come with instructions? I've installed a bunch of HID kits, but was suprised my latest DDM kit didn't come with any instructions. They didn't even tell you where to go on the internet for them. If it is a DDM kit, you can find install instructions on their website for the various styles if you need them.

It sounds like you're new to this and unfamiliar with electrical wiring. I would recommend you get help, but putting in a HID kit is pretty simple and you should be able to do it yourself.

A couple of other things to look out for besides-the-obvious don't touch the new bulbs when installing:

1) Before you begin the installation, pull your Prius up to a wall and put some marks where the top of the beam pattern is on the drivers and passenger headlights. You just want a reference point after the HID install to make sure the alignment is still OK (don't worry - it should be). It's just peace of mind so you won't blind oncoming drivers when you go out for the first night drive.

2) Try to route the extra HID stuff (ballast, ignitor, and wiring) away from any of the Prius's hybrid electrical components - you don't want any interference from the high voltage HID ballast and ignitor.

4. Strike67

Strike67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    macattack, did you install a 55W HID Kit for 2010 prius? You sure it's okay? I opted for a 35W cause I was nervous about the 55W kit

5. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time will tell! But, as the OEM bulbs are 55W, I was only concerned with startup current draw. That's pretty much a thing of the past now with the new digital ballasts.

I have two other 55W DDM kits on a 20YO Honda and a 6YO Toyota with no problems over the past 2+ years. Knock-on-wood.

6. Strike67

Strike67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm so jealous! I really wanted a 55 W HID kit I'm running 35W fogs and lows. It's just not enough. I want the on comming drivers to be like holy crap! haha :D