1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fusion Energi Coolent Resevoir Leaking at top

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by TonyCA, Mar 3, 2016.

1. TonyCA

TonyCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Fusion Energi owners, I've had a issue since I've owned my 2015 purchased new that I didn't get a chance to take in again until recently. I have a little fluid that leaks out of the Hybrid coolant reservoir. This is not the one attached to the radiator for the ICE, I have an issue with the hybrid component one. When I first received my car the fluid was above the full level. After a few times wiping it up I stopped by and had the dealer remove the excess fluid from the reservoir until it was at the MAX line. After a little while I noticed some fluid continued to seep/leak out and I'm at the low line now. I recently took my car in again to take care of a few things before the bumper to bumper expires. When I received the car back I didn't fully review my paperwork until I got home. I saw the comment that "Normal characteristics of the Hybrid cooling system"

Is our car truly designed this poorly? Does this happen to anyone else? If it is truly seeping out because of expansion I would believe the reservoir is too small. If it's leaking out because the cap seal I would think I have a bad washer/o-ring. I don't understand how it can be normal to spill coolant over other components of the car and into the environment. I did continue to have coolant outside of the reservoir when the level was at the low line, and I expect it would eventually go below the low line. I'll be bringing my car back tomorrow before my warrantee expires to see if they can address this. I'm keeping my documentation incase this needs to escalate into a lemon law issue.

A second issue I have is I get a squeak sometimes when I start driving the car. Sounds like it's coming from the front wheel, it's not a constant squeak, but one that happens with each rotation of the wheel. They were unable to recreate the issue as it's random. Brakes were checked and no issue found. I'll have to see if I can get it to show the issue for the service rep.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The coolant shouldn't be leaking. Do you know exactly where the fluid is coming from?
    The squeak could just be the dust shield behind the rotor. These are thin metal, and it doesn't take much to bend them. So it's an easy fix if it is the issue.

3. TonyCA

TonyCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have not been able to find the exact location. I think it's on the cap, as the leaked fluid is often on the lip of the reservoir.