1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fusion Energy

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Dec 10, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i was watching a special this morning on the Sun and was nearly floored by a statement near the end of the one hour show. a company in England is in the process of building a fusion reactor that will for the first time, create up to 10 times more power than it consumes.

this is the same company that first announced about 30 years ago that they had figured out how to create, control and maintain a fusion reaction. as we all know, yes it can be done, but current technology requires more power in than can be produced. anyone else here anything about this. i saw this on the Science Channel

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 10 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]360069[/snapback]</div>
    I've read that its theoretically possible to make a breeder reactor using fusion, but its never been achieved. Perhaps they've solved the problems. There's been a ton of word done in super conductivity in the past 30 years that might have been helpful.

Let's hope there's enough of a profit incentive for them to actually develop it for widespread use.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read a small snippet in the "Revenge of Gaia" book by J. Lovelock. I think it may have been the same company he mentioned. If they can firgure it out then it would answer a lot of prayers. :)