1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

? Future Navagation rehab ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kidd, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Kidd

Kidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Like many others who have posted their dislike or spoke of the shortcomings of the navigation system on their Prius, I am wondering if in the future there might be an update to make the system more like the Garmin. I have the '08 version, and maybe if I had nothing to compare it to, I would be slightly dismayed at the Nav. unit but accepting of it. I am wondering though, if it would take a software update and a different disc, ( I am assuming there is a DVD continuously running in the background) that would accomplish the change I am speaking of, or would it take a total revamp of the navigation system for such a change?

2. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The Update DVDs contain new map data and may also update the system software at the same time, which is the reason why you cannot use an older disc once you have inserted a newer disc and updated without re-initializing the whole system.

In reality, it is very unlikely you would see any significant change in terms of functionality. Though I have only had a Toyota NAV system for little more than a year and a half and two updates (personally, I haven't picked up 7.1 yet, waiting for the price to get lower on eBay), the only "function change" I have heard of is that the "I Agree" screen on v7.1 disappears after a few seconds instead of waiting for the user to press a button.

It is what it is... you won't see any drastic changes via updates, especially to the UI.

3. spookyfudge

spookyfudge Junior Member

Have a 2005 prius with a nav system. Got new disk for it, 07.02 and it gave me some additional screen features such as the road you are on and direction of next turn. Also gave me an additional "preset" button, from 5 to 6. Dealer installed this in the car.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Major functional changes can be done through an update disk, but so far it has not been a priority for Toyota.

Tom

5. Deaconblues

Deaconblues New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got my '08 around 10 days ago. Should I have been furnished a DVD with my Nav system? How does one know when updates are available and go about receiving an update disk?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The NAV DVD is in the NAV box under the driver's seat. It has to be there for navigation to run. Updates come out once a year or two and can be purchased for an unreasonably high sum. Your dealer can or should be able to tell you when a new one is available, but this forum is a more reliable source.

Tom

7. offsides

offsides New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you say 07.02, do you mean that the version on it is 7.2? My brand new '08 has 7.1, which seems to be the latest version everyone else has been talking about... If there's version 7.2 out there, I may try to see if I can get my dealer to upgrade me for free (since I got the car last night... :))

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Meaning they did something other than remove the old disc and put in the new one?