1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Future Predictions For Battery Packs

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by joeman, Oct 16, 2009.

1. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just wondering what battery packs new and used will be priced like in the future? Right now my 2002 has 72k miles on it, and hopefully want need a battery pack until well after 100k. I drive a truck to work, so my Prius is my off work car, I may put 6k a year on it. So in 8 years I may add 48k miles on car, total of 120k miles.

Thanks, Joe

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lasts for ages, a search for battery life should find you many hours of reading about battery life of Prius. I suspect the more you drive a Prius the longer the battery will last.

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a 'little white lie' we tell folks, the only vehicles with HUGE mileage already are big city taxis, which seem to do 250,000 to 300,000 miles on a HV battery. (This entire post is about the HV battery, the 12v battery lasts just like a normal car battery) However an idle taxi is losing money, so they run 24/7. We do not have as clear a picture how a battery in a Prius does when idle 16 hours a day, or not driven every day of the week. The computer on a Prius that is running has much more control of battery condition than a Prius which is turned off. Until we get reports from traveling salesmen in Prius, we don't have a good idea of battery life for normal users.

We see that here with the early adopters being fanatical hypermilers and getting above EPA mileages, whilst new owners, more mainstream drivers, keep wondering if their Prius is broken, as they don't get the EPA mileage, let alone the hypermiler's mileage. The Battery life of taxis, may not represent what a commuter will get, as the taxis are an extreme.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get" Even if we find that 'normal' owners battery life is also averaging 250,000 miles, that does not mean yours will make it that far. Expect a bell curve, but we are still down on the level part. One Prius in 40,000 has had to replace the Battery. We do not know when the curve climbs, yet.

1 person likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We've only had a handful of documented NHW11 traction battery failures but they seem to be clustered around warmer climates (aka., Florida) and hilly-mountainous areas. The common factor is heat is the enemy. But we have some fleet data.

I would recommend reviewing the hybrid fleet studies:There was a significant loss of NHW11 traction battery capacity over the 160k miles. But after 3-4 months of steady service, the vehicle efficiency leveled off. The lesson being the battery is important but it is not the sole determinant in Prius performance.

But is terribly misleading to represent the NHW11 battery modules and their failures are the same as the NHW20. There was a substantial redesign and the NHW20 battery modules are exceptional.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Joeman, Toyota now sells the new replacement for about $2200. Hard to predict if that price will change in the future (it is less than their original pricing). The used ones for sale are typically removed from salvage vehicles. The best 'accumulator' of these parts seems to be

www.car-part.com

Today they list about 30 HV batteries at prices from $400 to $1200. This has been about the price range for as long as I can remember. I suppose that's where they'll stay. Toyota's $200 recycling payment puts an absolute lower limit on those prices.