1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Future Prius Owner with questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kelly.cardona, Jun 16, 2008.

1. kelly.cardona

kelly.cardona New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello Prius chat fans,

I currently own a 1999 Ford Taurus that believe it or not I am averaging about 30mpg with a V6, the trick driving slower and not gunning the car out of the line. With the current price of gas it's the only alternative until I can get into a Prius.

Now to some questions:
    1. Living in Cinci Ohio and reading about mixed reviews on snow handling, how does the Prius handle in snow, do you need snow tires?

2. With news about the 2009 Prius being much more fuel economical, has any one heard anything more about this, is it worth waiting for the next model to come out or buy a 2008?

3. What about repairs, for example break pads, oil changes, and other engine maintenance, also batteries. Has any one had any problems getting these serviced? Can it be done at a say Car X (oil, breaks), or Toyota service recommended?

I also welcome any comments current Prius owners have about their driving experience, mpg, regrets, and anything you want to share with me.

Thanks

2. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in Chicago where we get a lot more snow than you do in Cinci and I have had no issues.

I now have 43,000 miles on mine and have had my oil changed at the usual places but I have had anything specific to the hybrid done at the dealer and that has been no issues either.

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there! I came from a '99 Taurus also!

We don't really get snow around here, but from what I heard, the Prius does just fine. I'm not sure if it needs snow tires, but it does need GOOD tires.

Not sure about the '09 model being more economical. I think the 2010 is supposed to be a new generation.

Maintenance:

Oil/filter changes are real easy and can be done yourself. If you don't want to, I doubt any shop will have trouble. I've heard a couple of people complain that X shop wouldn't do it because it's 'electrical', but as more hybrids get on the road, finding one that will do it should be a non-issue.

Your brake pads will probably last for as long as you own your car due to the Prius' braking mechanism.

The 12V battery will die sometime (just a fact of life).

The main battery is warranted to 100K miles if I'm not mistaken.

I have absolutely no regrets, and I know I'm not alone on that. Most new Prius owners have a perma-grin from the time they first pick up the car.

My experience has been 100% positive. AND I'm getting 53mpg without trying too hard.

Hope this helps you decide to join the club!

4. kelly.cardona

kelly.cardona New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello Orracle,

Thank you so much for replying to my post, I appreciate your feedback. OK if I hear you don't have problems in the snow living in Chicago then I have no worries here as we maybe just get like 2 inches at most.

I am also thinking of adding an after market GPS device as the on board one does not allow you to manipulate it much while driving.

5. kelly.cardona

kelly.cardona New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello Patrickindallas,

Thanks a lot for the reply full of good feedback. That is pretty cool you went from a '99 Taurus as well.

When you say the break pads last for ever what do you mean? I am not familiar with the breaking system of the Hybrid, have not read much on it.

I am very much on board on getting a Prius, I am just waiting for my wife to be done with school so we can afford the Prius, and to also get some questions answered from current owners.

Thanks again

6. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    firstly, if you search previous postings you will find there is no difference in the 2009 model, 2nd if you search other posts regarding prius availability, you might see things in a different light.

7. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius uses the battery to help store some of the car's kinetic energy. The car is slowed while the hybrid drive train generates electricity.

The friction brakes are used at speeds less than 7mph or in case of emergency.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/24054-brake-life.html

Linky to an old post, but I'm sure there are quite a few more around here.

Happy reading!:)

8. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to the forum, kelly.cardona. I am also a Taurus SHO owner ('95) and I still have it. (soon to be my daughter's first car)

You will love the Prius. There is very little maintenance needed for the Prius. This forum has a wealth of information and don't hesitate to use the search function to read some great discussions on how to drive the Prius to maximize your mpg.

9. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the brakes won't break ;)