1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Futuristic highways in the Netherlands glow in the dark

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jsfabb, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A futuristic highway that can save energy and improve road safety is set to be installed in the Netherlands by mid-2013. Two companies, Studio Roosegaarde and Heijmans Infrastructure, came up with the highway, which includes: glow-in-the-dark road markings painted with photo-luminescent paint which are charged during the day and light up during the night; temperature-responsive paint which indicates slippery roads when temperatures fall below zero; and interactive lights along the highway.

NMA

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if they have tested the concept in the wild. The illuminated road markings might attract insects, followed by birds and bats attracted to the insects, followed by bird and bat impacts on moving vehicles.

I was impressed with a roadway operation in Italy. Every time they had a fatal accident on a roadway they splashed a bucket of red paint on the roadway. When you found yourself at an red intersection, you were subtly compelled to be very cautious.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Reminds me of the old Atari Night Driver game.

4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're good... I immediately thought of something I experienced:

Two decades ago, many roads in the Netherlands were changed to ZOAB (Zeer Open Asfalt Beton, or Very Open Asphalt Concrete) which flushes away rain in an astonishing pace. It really is a DREAM to drive on even in the pooring rain, there is simply NO spray whatsoever because the water just runs through.

Then I drove to my parents-in-law christmas eve 1994, below freezing, some cars were at the side of the motorway/highway. One even pointing the wrong way... We were driving very slow. 3rd gear in a Volvo 245 at 20km/h (12mph) when the rear slid sideways...:eek: (RWD)

That's the day we found out the drawbacks of ZOAB...
    Normally the roads are spayed with salt to prevent freezing but the salt also runs through the open structure of ZOAB.

So your question about testing is very valid, as they must have tested ZOAB beforehand, but they either didn't test properly, or they 'forgot' to add this little detail to the testingreport :mad:

5. Odinn

Odinn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Made me think of when I was in Poland and they have huge yellow signs with 2 different numbers on it. The first number was for the amount of injuries along a stretch of road and the 2 number was the fatalities along the same stretch of road. They would update the numbers after each incident. Really made you drive a little more cautious.

http://mozberd.com.ua/foto/Czarny_punkt.jpg

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to get one of those signs for my ranch road. :)