1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FYI: MPG With Various Accessory Add Ons

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rbower04, May 9, 2013.

1. rbower04

rbower04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First off let me start that this is by no means scientific. I just wanted to pass on my observations with respect to fuel economy given different accessories I add on to my car for different modes of travel and use. I feel this would be a good to know in the event you are considering similar add ons.

I have a 2011 Prius IV's loaded with moon roofs to start off with. It averages 46 MPG on a daily basis under combined driving conditions averaging around 45-60 MPH. This MPG is achieved with a Curt 1.25 hitch receiver installed along with a Thule 917XTR T2 bike rack installed. With the bike rack removed MPG increases to around 48 MPG, and before the hitch receiver I was able to max out at 50 MPG if I really paid attention.

Adding bikes onto the bike rack continues to drive fuel economy down by about an additional 2 MPG.

Now add on the Thule Aero Roof rack system with a Thule Atlantis 1600 cargo carrier along with the bike rack set up - pretty much everything I can throw onto the car to include the cargo carrier packed, car packed, and bikes on. I have made multiple road trips well over 6K miles with this set up at an average of 70 MPH and it has a drastic effect on fuel economy. An average across an entire trip would be around 36 MPG.

In short the bike setup does not have a huge effect on fuel economy where as adding the cargo carrier does. A note of fuel - using budget fuel typically resulted in sacrificing about 2 MPG, where as better fuels with additives like Shell and Chevron led to an increase in fuel economy in similar fashion.

Hopefully this helps anyone considering similar add ons and their effect on fuel economy. As for the Thule products - love them and would reccommend.

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Interesting that you noticedthe drops in various scenario's with the hitch.. first with hitch, then hitch with rack and hitch, rack and bike. For me, since I only install it as needed, I didn't notice anything as I just average out the tank. Assuming that weight is the major influence on the hitch rack, I just can't see the hitch reduce mpg is by 2mpg. Even with my hitch receiver, I am at my best mpg per to date per MFU at 51mpg. What I've been doing is hauling my bike inside and my fuelly log shows, it doesn't impact it as my mpg has been trending upward continuously since I bought it. For me, I credit that to learning how to drive the car and break in period.

Going back to hitch mount rack, I should drive around with it more and see the results. I suspect it to be from no more than 2mpg. How heavy if your t2 btw? My Yakima Hold Up is around 50lbs. My road bikes are light, less than 17.

I suspected the roof accessories are killer which you confirmed.

thanks for sharing.

3. rbower04

rbower04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do not remove the hitch receiver. It is bolt on and would be a PITA to constantly be taking off. Thereby the hitch receiver has been on for quite a while. I just leave the actual bike rack on as well and fold it up. It gets a fair amount of use and I prefer the ease of use. Before I was getting around 48MPG with neither the reciever or rack, now about 46MPG. I guess I should have made that clear. I think the reciever weighs about 75 pounds or so and the bike rack is similar.

In any event I am well versed on how to drive the car, on #2 and 3 right now. No matter what I do I phycially cannot break about 46MPG across a full tank given the set up with a bike rack installed. Like I mentioned I could do 50 without the setup, but typically closer to 48.

The cargo carrier crushes MPG.

4. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The hitch changes the air flow under the car, the under carriage is designed for a certain air flow, as is the roof of the car, the dip in the roof allows for a better flow and adding the bikes in the back changes it also, not to mention anything on top it just disturbing it more.

5. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't think the hitch changes air flow to any measurable extent, but I could be wrong. Look under the car and there is other stuff like the muffler in the air flow. However, I'd like to hear if others are experiencing a mileage hit from just having the hitch installed. I think my mileage did go down a little. It may be in my head though because I don't keep accurate mileage records.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2