1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FYI: Troubles with installing sunroof (after-market)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by nordiska, May 8, 2013.

1. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just recently (less than 2 weeks ago) bought myself a Prius C2, making me a proud first-time owner of a Prius. While I didn't care much for the added features in the 3 or 4 models (and they were a bit out of my budget), I struck a deal with the Toyota dealership to install a sunroof in my C2 since it wasn't a standard feature.

I brought my C2 to the Service Center last Saturday, expecting to have the car back by today at the latest. Not only did I receive a call yesterday informing me it'd be until at least Friday when the car would be ready, I just received a phone call today saying that they don't even want to install the sunroof anymore because the Prius C has "protective beams" in the roof that they do not want to touch. The dealer said he wasn't aware there was a difference with installing the sunroof after-market since he was just going by his experience with the standard Prius.

They are going to write out a $1,000 check to me, which would have been the alleged price of the installation. I couldn't help but ask whether they would be willing to keep the grand and upgrade me to the C3, but they said no.​
    It's been such a frustrating process all because the dealer wasn't fully informed of what is possible and what is not. And, I just figured I'd let everyone know so they could avoid this mess.​
    Has anyone else had an experience similar to this?​
    -Chris​

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i didn't know you could put an after market sunroof in any prius.

Merkey likes this.
  3. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    According to some dealers apparently you can, not that it's a good idea. I thought it seemed kind of counter-intutive so I should have gone with my gut. In any case, I am actually returning my C2 to the dealership tomorrow. They will give me back my deposit and I won't have to pay any fees.

In the meantime, I've already negotiated with 2 other local dealerships for a C3, which I am getting for only $915 extra (out the door price) compared to what I paid for the C2 (with the promised sunroof). So, I am definitely a happier camper now. :D

PLSPUSH, ztanos and Merkey like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, glad they let you return it. all the best with the new one!(y)

5. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! ;)

6. Shibby

Shibby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The roof is different between factory sunroof and non-sunroof cars. The non-sunroof cars have channels to aid in airflow and the sunroof cars don't.

7. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One of the reason to no justify the price when buy my Prius C, and also bad experience with leaks in OEM sunroofs with 2 prevoius car, so in my case is a NO-NO.

8. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Having had my headliner out to install sound deadener - I can confirm that there are two thick structral beams running down the roof. I have installed my own sunroofs before and had considered it on The PriusC, but one look under the headliner and that thought went straight out the window.

9. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    damn so no sunroof option. how is the sunroof done in the higher models?

10. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for confirming what the dealership said. I just wish that they had knowledge of this beforehand. In an attempt to keep my business, they said they found someone certified in CT (I live in northeast NJ) that could install the roof, but it really didn't sound like a good idea. If it's not possible, then it's not possible. And then who would be responsible for a leak that might very well happen? In light of this mess, I just returned the C2 and received my deposit back in full with no fees.

The good news is I am picking up my C3 tomorrow from another dealership which gave me a much better deal. The OTD difference between the C2 and C3 will only amount to $285.80. :D :D

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love a sunroof, but I've kind of given up on having one.

At the time I bought my Honda Fit, Honda did not offer an factory installed sunroof, so it was a no go, with the idea that maybe, just maybe....years later I could put one in....but it was not to be.

Standard Prius hatchback, I love the sunroof available but tied to everything else Toyota makes you purchase just to get it? The difference in cost of buy in, just for the sunroof was too great for me to justify.

I love a sunroof, but I can't be at peace with the idea of an aftermarket installed one. The idea of "someone" cutting into my roof structure and popping one in? Just makes me too nervous.

I actually investigated having a aftermarket sunroof put in my Honda Fit. I visited the installer. While he was giving me his pitch, he said basically the following sentence: "The sunroof is chemically bonded to your automobile".
    Bonded to your automobile sounded kind of reassuring, until I thought about it some. Chemically Bonded to My Automobile basically means...."glued in place".

Maybe if I keep my Prius 5, 6 or more years, I'll get to a place where I don't mind taking the risk with an aftermarket install, once it's paid for and the "newness" wears off. But for now? No way I could hand my Prius over and have somebody cut a big hole in the roof....as much as I do love having a sunroof.

12. Optical Illusions

Optical Illusions Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In that case you have a great deal (steal) out of it. Not only you are getting a sunroof but you are also getting the push start button and keyless/remote free entry and 6.1 navigation screen which the 1 and 2 don't have.

When i first looking to buy my Prius C. I was only looking at the 2 also, since i am telling myself that i didn't need any other options. After testing driving and dealing on the 2, i found a 3 for $500 more then 2. The dealer didn't want to give me the cargo net so i walked out the door and the next day i found my C4 for $500 more then my C3.

Now looking back. I am glad i bought the C4 because of all the options for $1000 more. I would probably regretting buy the C2 now though since it doesnt have the 15' alloy rims, softex leather, fog light, push start button, heated seat, and the heated mirror, navigation etc..

Enjoy your new C3, it is a very fun and reliable car to drive. I'm so glad i bought it.

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  13. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! Seems like you got a good deal too! (y)

The dealer actually couldn't get it for this weekend, so I have to wait until Tuesday evening. But in the meantime, I got them to go even lower on the price. After calculating the OTD price, I am in the green compared to what I paid for the C2 because the new dealership is selling me the C3 for $314 LESS than what I paid for the C2. The base price is $21,583 (this includes the sunroof and alloy rims). :D

ztanos likes this.
  14. Netineti

Netineti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You guys are getting good deals!