1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

G1 Energy monitor

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Synergy, May 27, 2008.

1. Synergy

Synergy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey guys, im thinking about purchasing a G1 instead of a G2, this will be my first car and I proabley wont be able to afford a G2.

So i have test drove the G2 prius's and i like the energy monitor, but I just recently drove a G1 prius and I find the energy monitor is alot easier to read in the G1. Dont get me wrong it dosent take a genius to figure out whats powering what, it just seems easier to glance to see whats powering what over the G2 prius.

Who agree's, disagree's?

2. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems that they've tried to enhance the screen in the G2, but I find that the screen is easier to interpet on the G1. I use the energy monitor screen to get better mileage by trying to keep the green arrow feeding the traction battery as much as possible. This allows the computer to do "it's" job better. With the traction battery full most of the time you'll find times that the arrows for ICE to wheels, and the ICE to electric motor goes away, and you get into what is called "stealth" mode. You will notice that if you keep the accel pedal steady, that even on hills you will be able to climb the hill and charge the traction battery at the same time further allowing you to achieve better fuel mileage once you are over the hill. Also utilize the (b) mode going down hills as well to force-charge the traction battery to recoup your downhill motion as electrical energy in the battery as well. The Consumption screen jumps around too much for me, and it's too hard to control for mileage purposes. If you drive an established route, you are able to develop a routine to follow for your greatest fuel mileage overall. The G1 and the G2, can both be driven as a regular car, but to get their full potential....use the screens. Also, by driving by the energy screen this way, it allows the computer to actually "cycle" the traction battery better, and it allows you to park your car without having a close-to a depleted battery. This becomes more critical in the cold winter months, and not as much in the summer.
    Before you buy a G1 though, please spend some time lurking the G1 threads here at PriusChat and make yourself aware of some of the "bugs" that the G1 had. Hope this helps..:D