1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

G1 Traction battery warranty in California

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by w4y, May 21, 2008.

1. w4y

w4y Junior Member

I bought a used 2002 Prius last year with 77k miles. It now has 85k. I know California law requires the manufacturer to provide hybrid warranty extensions to 10 years/ 150,000 miles, and wondering if I would be covered in case of a traction battery failure after the standard 8 year/ 100,000 mile Toyota warranty. The car appears to have originally been sold in Texas, and made it's way to California, where I bought it last October at an independent used dealer for a great price.

Anyone know the rules/requirements of the warranty extension in California?

2. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Either way, you are still under 100,000 miles and it's been less than 8 years, correct? Have you tried calling a Toyota dealership and ask them what they'll do?

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting question. My guess is the warranty rules where the car was purchased new (i.e. in TX) are the ones that apply here. In particular, since you didn't buy the car from a Toyota dealer, I think that the TX rules probably apply.

However, as Optimus suggests, it may be a good idea to ask the Toyota dealership. On the other hand, I don't know that I'd necessarily believe what I hear from the dealership.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that the 10 yr/150K mile traction battery applies only to 2G Prius sold, registered, and operated in California (or other PZEV states). This is because 2G qualifies for AT-PZEV certification while Classic does not.