1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

G3 Prius Cruise Control.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ronhowell, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Of the 4 drive options available on the new 2010 Prius (Normal, EV, Eco and Power), which of the four are available when using CC on the highway?
    I assume EV is out since it automatically disconnects above 25 mph.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, EV is out, but I believe the other 3 modes can all be used. I didn't try PWR mode with cruise, but I did use ECO and Normal.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does the cruise control still cut out at 23 mph?

Bob Wilson

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder if the CC control functions differ with the differing modes. Cruise control is a simple feedback controller, so it could work the same way regardless of mode. On the other hand, the control functions could be detuned in economy mode. My guess is that it will work the same in all modes, but that's just a guess.

Tom

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The other thing that puzzles me is what exactly is the "Normal" mode. Something between Eco and Power? A response curve to go-pedal position that approximates a standard ICE propelled auto-transmission car?

Is there an indicator that shows which mode the car is in?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, that is where normal mode falls.

Tom

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of my remaining complaints is that the Toyota cruise control does not go down to 15 mph. The reason is the peak mileage speed for the NHW11 and NHW20 appears to be 18 to 20 mph.

Having a cruise control that functions all the way down to 15 mph would allow anyone who has access to a flat, circular track to run their Prius at maximum range speed for as long as they wish. Sure it would be boring but it would be a simple, reproducible test that anyone, including the most brain-dead auto reporter, could replicate:

[​IMG]
    It is also helpful if someone is claiming poor mileage performance. Do a simple, 1 hour test (be sure and charge labor,) and take a snapshot of the results:
    "I'm sorry Mr. <pain_in_the_seat> customer but we just ran your vehicle around the track for one hour and got this MPG. We can not find a problem ... Here is the diagnostic bill."
    This was 10 miles at 99.9 mpg in an NHW11, 2003 Prius, and came by just holding the speed constant at 15 mph and nothing else. In aviation we call this the maximum range speed and is typically boring as heck ... until compared to the progress of ant-sized cars on the roads below.

Bob Wilson

9. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    For me it works just to put the CC at 70 km/h, which is the European model display (contains error margin) limit to have the ICE fully stopped.

In level ground it goes half time doing about 4,5L/100km (52.3 MPG) while charging the battery and the other half it just goes 0L/100km spending energy from the battery. End result is a very pleasant 94 MPG, give it or take. Thing is long stretches with level ground where you can go at 70 km/h are not very on my daily commute.

I find this to be the most comfortable speed possible in routes where we can not go too slow, it's usable where the speed limit is up to 80 km/h without causing traffic inconvenience if you have at least 2 lanes.