1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

G3 Smartkey deactivation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mark54321, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mark54321

mark54321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello:

I've read some threads about potential deactivation of the Smart key FOB for Gen 3's.....not as easy as pushing a button on earlier models:

Suggested procedure for G3: ? From a thread about the topic

- Power switch off, driver door closed and unlocked.
    - Press the unlock switch of the KEY ONCE.
    - Open-close, open-close, open the driver door
    - Press the unlock switch of the KEY TWICE
    - Close-open-close the driver door
    - Wireless buzzer sounds once (disabled) or twice (activated).

That was posted in early 2010.....I guess many here have had more experience with this subject since then. My question is whether I need to go through this if I'll be away from my car for 9 days or so.

What is the experience here w/ people leaving their G3's for a week to a week and a half. Should I deactivate? If not what should I do w/ my fob?

I know the system shuts down partially or totally after a number of days and re-activates when the door is unlocked...but do I risk shorter 12v battery life or any other problems leaving the car for 8 or 9 days?

Thanks

Mark C

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You won't have any problems leaving your car set for a couple weeks. You might deactivate the FOB if you're Prius sits for a month, but even then, it would probably be okay. To a certain degree, some of these Prius battery issues are true with a conventional car that sits for a month or so.

1 person likes this.
  3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

Before I try this experiment, how do I reactivate the smart key?

4. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I seem to recall that the manual mentioned that the SKS system would automatically deactivate in stages to save the battery if the car was left for long periods of time. I don't have my manual near me so I can't check right now, but I think it's in there somewhere.

Also, like the others said, you should be fine leaving it for a couple of weeks. The longest I left mine was 8 days in an airport parking garage and the SKS worked fine to open the hatch when I got back.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Using the SKS disable is not necessary. It wasn't necessary in the GII. That's why it was removed. Both cars shut it off on their own, the GIII just does it sooner. Do make sure the FOB/car can't "see" each other. You could put the FOB in a metal box, for example, or wrap it in aluminum foil. Or just make sure it's at least 20' away. The actual distance is in the owners manual.

There's lots of interesting facts in that manual. Some people should read it!

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've read my manual but it's normally in my car, not in my apartment. I don't recall the auto disabling. IIRC, SKS equipped 2nd gens comes w/a larger 12 volt battery.

Unfortunately, Toyota makes it a lot more convoluted to get the owner's manual in PDF format than Nissan which makes them freely available to anyone w/o getting an account (and their owner's manual is 1 single file). I'm in the process of getting it now from the Toyota owner's site.

edit: From section 2-1 of the 06 manual (doesn't apply to the OP), it says:
    but... later on in the section on deactivating SKS, it says
    They also refer to how to disable it for people w/implanted pacemakers and cardiac defbrilators or possibly other medical devices that might have issues w/SKS signals.

My 06 Prius isn't driven much anymore and to prevent from unnecessarily draining my battery, I now disable SKS.