1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gained 3 MPGs after fillup, thinking there's something up with the gas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Feb 2, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always fill up at the same Shell station on a busy corner near the highway. Big station with 9 pump bays. Car's been showing 52.x for a couple tanks, and I haven't seen the 55.x numbers since about September or October. After fillup 3 days ago, noticed a few mpg increase. Same temperature, same conditions, CONS gage showing 55.x

Seems to me gas quality not consistent. Did I get less ethanol with this tank? Don't know but skeptical of this station.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a different supplier or another configuration in additives. Count your blessings if the mileage went up. :D

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always wondered if I used 100% gas (no ethanol) if my mileage would go up. I have a Shell station close by that sells it, but it's about $1 higher than reg. gas. Doesn't seem worth for 2-3 mpg more.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't even get the choice here, it's all 10% ethanol.

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I noticed that if one day I get worse MPG, lets say 50 MPG, next day it's going to get better, say 60 MPG, delivering the expected 55 MPG average on the MPG indicator. Same commuting routine mind you.

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have given up on monitoring mpg, or even m/kWh.

I have started just monitoring the actual fuel usage per commute trip, in each direction, using torque.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are just monitoring zeros then. You don't use any fuel. :p

John Hatchett likes this.
  8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving the Prius over winter break while my son drove "his" Volt. I followed another Prius to a gas station. :)

F8L likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 miles difference at 55 miles per gallon is some 5% difference. That's a small amount of gas. The error in your calculations could be that much. Even different pumps at the same station could give off that much error. Temps in northern ca were a few degrees warmer the past week.

John Hatchett likes this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I would need to log conditions to really know what's going on.

I was able to go from 54.4 back up to 55.1 in about a 1.x mile stretch coming home with no traffic behind and 100 miles into the tank. Short trips can chew 1 mpg off the gage pretty quickly, this car can EV pretty well in mid 30 miles per hour, or can drive it with just a hint of gas engine running up slight grades in 35 mph range.

HSD works incredibly well. Great to see what Toyota is doing in new cars like 2013 Avalon Hybrid.

... Can hardly wait to see 4th Gen Prius. Given what they're doing with Camry and Avalon hybrids, new Prius should be much more robust, I hope. :)

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed something similar last summer, where the mpg in both of our cars dropped by about 4 mpg at around the same time.

A drop in one car is one thing, but a drop in both cars during the same period, using gas from the same company/location is pretty strong evidence I would say.

Both cars were monitored on Fuelly.

12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Strong evidence for sure. But you'd need additional data points to be conclusive. What was the fuel economy for the next tank?

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Direct links to the mpg info on Fuelly: Camry, Prius

OK, now that I look at the graphs for mpg for both cars side by side, the mileage drop was not at the same time, and the drop was 3 mpg not 4 mpg.

However, it is interesting that both vehicles showed a pretty noticeable drop in mpg followed by a recovery to average mpg. The graphs are eerily similar, the difference in time might be due to the fact that the Prius is fueled half as often as the Camry, so the drop in mpg shows up later for the Prius.

14. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the pump can shut off at a different spot from time to time. My old 95 Neon was all over the place on high way mpg and when the evac system messed up and I bypassed it...only allowing it to be filled up at a VERY slow pace...now every fill up goes to where it is near the top and I can hear it getting ready to pour out, but then it will click off. At 55 mph I always get 46 mpg, 60 mph it drops to 42-43 and 40 at 65. All those speeds are when I am slip streaming off of semis...at a SAFE distance.

15. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, quality (energy content) of gasoline can definitely vary from place to place at the same time of year.

Early last fall on a trip from Dallas to Santa Fe NM we filled up twice, averaged a terrible 43-45 mpg (real miles divided by real gallons). The gasoline back here in good old NM gave us our usual 50-52 mpg until cold weather set in. Same brand (Shell) both places and same time of year - has to be different fuel quality.

16. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't you guys have different summer and winter gas there? We do in California, when switched to winter blend we gain power so MPG goes up.