1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Galaxy Nexus/Android ROM now shows my music id tags on screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PhysicsGuy, May 13, 2012.

1. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll try to keep it short:

Had Droid X running rooted froyo - music artist, song, image showed on nav audio screen through BT, sweet

Switched to Galaxy Nexus - still played fine via BT with Poweramp but no screen info with ice cream sandwich :mad:

Dealt with it like that for over a month thinking, oh well, at least I can play the music, I can look at the phone in the dock for the info anyway.

Just flashed AOKP to Nexus (ics 4.0.4) still didn't show and now wouldn't skip tracks :mad:

Wait, maybe another player will work, tried Google's Play Music app and now all music tag info (artist, title, album image) shows again :rockon: Now I can keep the phone in the 'pit' and out of the sun in the dock on hot days.

(Got excited thinking I could then navigate to the addresses in the phone book... nope. Well, at least I have my music info on the screen again!)

Now I wonder if Google's Play Music app would have worked all along...

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, and now email and text messaging work (never did before, even on the Droid X, was always greyed out)

3. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Didn't your email and text messaging work on your Droid X BEFORE you rooted?

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had my Droid X longer than the Prius, and it was always rooted, so I never knew...

5. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My non-rooted Droid X has never had email or text problems. Which ROM were you using?

6. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No ROM on the X, just rooted. Using AOKP on the Nexus.

7. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a rooted Galaxy 2. I can get the music to play, but no album art etc. Can't seem to get text to work at all. I am on 4.0.3

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have never had album art show up on the screen via BT using Google Play Music. Although I haven't tried it in a couple weeks. Could it be a new update fixed this?

9. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After flashing another ROM and doing more research I can say whether or not album art and info shows on the screen is entirely ROM dependent.

AOKP and CM9 both support avrcp 1.3+ while most others do not (there may be some lesser-common ones that do, haven't compiled a complete list).

I am currently on Liquid 1.4 which runs on my phone leaps and bounds smoother and faster than AOKP that I'm willingly giving up the album art, albeit sadly.

10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So CM9 would show album art?

11. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I am running AOKP and do not see album art. I will try again.

I did notice yesterday that I received my text message on my display, that was a very nice surprise and a great feature to have.

12. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I had it working with AOKP it was with Google Play Music app, not with Poweramp, which I had been using. So even though the ROM supports it, it may also be app dependent.

13. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to sources, it supports the proper bluetooth profile for showing it, but I didn't flash CM9 to confirm first hand.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which car are you using? What year? Which entertainment unit? Are you connecting via Bluetooth or USB?

Honestly, you aren't explaining very much...

15. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

First, chill. So much angst.

Second... the entire thread is about bluetooth profiles so how do you think we're connecting?

Third... right under my name on the left it says 2012 Prius Three

Honestly, you aren't reading very much.

16. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the 2012 Plugin Advanced
    Samsung Galaxy S II running AOKP ice cream 4.0.4

Streaming music works with both poweramp and google play, neither shows album art. Actually testing last night, neither even showed the song information. I had to navigate from the phone.

I can see my text messages when I click on phone - messages, and I can even respond from the car. But I have tested and I cannot receive them. One time, I did receive a text message on the screen and was able to read it, but I cannot replicate that.

Very inconsistent.

I have tried with the phone disconnected as a portable bluetooth device and only had bluetooth for phone, that didn't seem to matter.

I am missing something. There has to be a way to get this to work 100% for messages.

There should also be a way to get phonebook pictures to show, but I can't figure that out.

17. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

So, I have the 2010 Prius V and I have had AOKP ICS on my G-Nex. I've tried Google Play, Mixing, RealPlayer Beta & Amazon MP3 Player. None of them provide artist, track, song info or album art on the screen. How'd you get that to work?

Details please!

I just installed Jelly Bean (android 4.1) on my G-nex and it is really nice, going to test the BT in the car now.

BRB! :)

18. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, tried multiple connect attempts and 3 players. Google Play has the BEST SOUND with "Beats Audio" enhancements being obvious. the other 2, not so much.
    None of the 3 plays provided song, artist, info or album art. In fact, the screen that provides that info didn't come up at all, just a blank scree with the words Playing Audio or something to that effect. Disappointing! :(

I am VERY interested to hear about the AOKP ROM, as I was using it, the correct screen would appear, but no info was presented, so details, details, please! :)

19. Prius2012fl

Prius2012fl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For what's it worth, I have the same issue of not see the trcks

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

20. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry I haven't been around for a while...

I'm long past AOKP, I think I was using b35, but now I'm on LiquidSmooth 1.4 and my phone is running just so damn sweet I haven't used anything else since. Now I don't get any track info. As I said, the ROM you're using has to support the BT profile for tag info (avrcp 1.3+). Liquid does not. AOKP does, I haven't flashed back, but can't say why it's not working for you. If anyone can figure it out, let us all know!