1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gall Bladder surgery

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, May 17, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found out today that I'm going to have to have my gall bladder removed -- not a big deal as I'll leave the hospital with 2 band-aids. It's actually a relief to know what has been making me feel so sucky, and I'll be delighted to have it behind me.

Has anyone had this surgery? I've got to work out some logistics, such as determining where I have the procedure done. If I will be able to drive, take care of myself, etc. I'll have the surgery here and return to the comfort of my own home. But if I'm going to need help for a day or so, I'll need to have it done in a town close to my sister, since she can't come here. I'm torn between being pampered for a feew days and having the comfort of home AND my cats. Soooo my question for anyone who has had this done -- what was recovery like? Any limitations such as driving? Is this a stay-curled-up-in-the-recliner-with-a-heating-pad and feel sorry for myself situation, or is it more like god-I'm-in-pain-can-you-bring-me-a-cookie thing and let everybody else feel sorry for me?

I'm really relieved that it's going to get better, rather than going through more of the month of endless tests that I've been through. And just an aside on the matter of health care -- people criticize single-payor systems as being inefficient. Well, a month of test after waiting for results after more tests after more waiting, I don't think our system is so hot. And I have excellent insurance. If this is the best our system can do, I'll take socialized medicine any day!

Peace --

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

If others here have had it done, you'll probably get different opinions.

My mother had hers removed 40 years ago. Such surgery was a "bigger deal" then than now. I think she was in the hospital two nights, then came home the third day and stayed in bed another day.

Are you having it as an outpatient-then-go-right-home? You cannot plan on driving afterward due to anesthesia and/or discomfort (and/or sheer exhaustion; your body will know it wasn't a hangnail). You may feel surprisingly well the next day, or even after you've slept a bit the same day.

To be safe, have it done in a town near your sister. Unplanned things happen with any surgery. Give yourself at least a 48-hour break (including the morning you go in). The cats will live.

Good luck!

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bring the cats to your sister's house. Sounds like you may need your sister to take care of you, but at a time like that you need the kitties also. They're warm and fuzzy and the most healing, relaxing sound in the world is a kitty purring in your ear.

Good luck with the surgery.

(Your doctor should be able to tell you how much pain is involved, and how soon afterward you'll be able to drive and otherwise take care of yourself. I had prostate surgery 4 years ago. They wanted to send me home after one night in the hospital, but I chose to remain a second night because I live alone.)

4. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ May 17 2006, 02:56 AM) [snapback]256724[/snapback]</div>
    I had it done on a Thursday, outpatient. I went in at 7 AM & was home by 3 PM. I was told up front that I needed someone to drove me home or they would not release me. Wife did all driving for next four days, I just didn't feel like it.

Was supposed to be just the two small holes from the scope, but the GB was so inflamed that he had to open me up so one of the holes turned into a 3" incision. Stayed in bed on Friday and just sat around Sat & Sun. Back to work on Monday, stayed a half day b/c I felt like tired (of course when DR. told me I could go back to work by Monday that was before the surgery and didn't include that bigger incision), so I just worked from home the rest of the week (fortunately, I can do that).

Even considering that, I'd say it is more a stay-curled-up-in-the-recliner situation.

Good luck.