1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gallons to fill an empty tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kente777, Nov 18, 2005.

1. kente777

kente777 New Member

I'm trying to calculate how many miles I will get per tankful and I need to know how many gallons does it take to fill up an empty tank.

Thanks for your help

Ken

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    FAQ. Also, page 206 of the 2005 Owner's Manual.

3. kente777

kente777 New Member

Thanks for the FAQ, but I didn't ask for the capacity of the tank, but how many gallons to fill up a (normally) empty tank. In other words, not bone dry, but when needle gets on "E"? I'm thinkin' about 10 gallons.

Sorry, I should been more specific.

Ken

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

There is no needle and there is no E :p

SOrry, was kinda of funny

This will depend as the tank is like a bladder which expands and contracts depending on the temperature and other factors. One time you will fit 11.3 gallons, next time you will fit 9.6 gallons, next time you will put 10.7 gallons, next time you will put 8.9 gallons :) Have fun figuring out how much you will put next time.

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

With my car if I wait for the flashing bar, I can generally put in just over a full 10 gallons.

If I get it really low, almost dry, but still running, I have put in 12.4 gallons.

If temperatures are under 10 degrees, I might not get the full 10 gallons in.

If I fill just to the click off, my fill ups at the flashing bar would be typically 6 to 8 gallons.

But each car is different slightly.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It hasn't been really cold on the days I've filled up lately, but I've been short of a full tank for some reason.

I'm nearly 100 miles into a tank averaging over 44MPG, but I've lost the first bar on the gauge already. Normally, if full, I'd expect 160+ miles to do that.

I guess when I see gas about to splash out at me, I'm not supposed to give up...

<space for Green-related chastisement>

</space for Green-related chastisement>

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

well, it's about 38 degrees here. I am averaging 54mpg but I also lost my first bar at 100 miles. Just tell you how different each car is or how much external factors can affect the accuracy.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think you didn't understand my answer. :)

I can fill up to 11.9+ gallons on my E tank. It varies by the bladder, and how close I want to run it.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Well.... FIRST, you'd have to empty the tank... I have found the technical 11.9 gallon capacity to be a "specification" somewhat unrelated to the practical day-to-day operating conditions.

How many miles per tank depends largely on your driving habits and specific conditions - terrain - percentage of freeway to short trips - how you accellerate from a stop - how many cold starts per 100 miles, etc. The fuel tank bladder makes accurate calculations difficult if not impossible. Ambient temperature contributes to the confusion by making the bladder stiffer in cold weather. To add to the confusion, the MFD's (Multi Function Display) MPG is an estimate, although mine appears to be more than 95% accurate compared to over a year of manual calculations (miles driven/gallons).

My advice: Don't try to get the absolute most miles/tank and risk running out of fuel. You just can't tell where or when you will exhaust your fuel and the very limited range of "all electric" could be more than a minor inconvenience. I fill at the last "non-blinking" pip on the GUESS gauge.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sort of depends on what the definition of is "is". First all the reasons stated, then the gasket on the fill port causes many pump auto-shutoff to cut in too early and can make filling the tank very difficult. You might do a search and read past threads.

11. Ron Peterson

Ron Peterson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back in 2015 I ran out of gas and didn’t realize it. Miles driven was about 450 and mpg was showing about 44. I thought I had broken something because all the lights came on. Had the car towed to a dealer. They gave me a stupid sticker along with the bill for the diagnosis. I had run out of fuel. They put 3 gallons in and I drove a few hundred feet to the station and added 8.9 gallons for a total of 11.9. Normally I fill up with 2 pups on the indicator bar and I’m lucky to be able to get 7 to 7
    i ran out and it took exactly 11.8 gallons. I keep a spreadsheet for my real mpg and don’t let the pips go below 2 before filling up. My recorded average over 165000 is 43.5. Less in winter and better on road trips