1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garage door opener

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Uh-Oh, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Junior Member

I think I remember reading about operating a remote-controlled garage door with something in the Prius. I don't remember where I read it or what it said. Anyone able to help?
    Thanks.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some of the rear view mirrors have something called Homelink that can be programed to operate your garage door.

Me? I have a garage door opener I keep in the cupholder next to the center console. Works for me. And yes...it does operate from inside the Prius. No problem.

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have the "BC" version of the Prius, it has Homelink. If there are buttons on the bottom of your rear view mirror, then yes you do and can program it to open (in most cases) your garage door opener.

You can also tell if a car has SKS (Smart entry) by looking to see if it has a little black button to the right of the hatch handle.

Since we just had 35 cars at our OC Prius event, I am getting good at telling which one has what- we ran through a "New Owner Checklist" of things one may not have found, like the drawer under the console, etc.

4. taaustin

taaustin New Member

Drawer under console??? you mean the between the seats console? (Gotta go look at my 3-day old 2005-opt2)

5. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

The homelink mirror is the way you can open the garage door if you have that option. There are 3 buttons, that can operate 3 different things. You can go to the homelink webb page, for details. It depends on which type of garage door opener you have. 2 distinct model exist in the US., one is a set frequency with dip switches, both in the opener itself in the garage, and the other is a random code generator system. There are 2 diff ways to set the homelink for that. The older one freq set unit is easy,you just point the opener to the mirror and a sequence is described in the owner's manual. The other system is more complex, depending on the kind you have, there is a learn mode or a reset mode located in the garage unit itself. You either reset all the door openers and the homelink or you can put the unit in learn mode to hit the homelink. Go to the web site for homelink, know the exact model of the garage unit you have, and you should be able to get it to go. I'm still trying, I have an old craftsman but with a new wireless transmit system, and it ain't easy..ps Sears is useless. Like the others I just use the remote I have. But theoritically it should work.

Good luck

6. taaustin

taaustin New Member

Forgive a new member and four-day-old Prius owner. Do you by chance have the URL for this "homelink page" you speak of?

Thanks,

Terry

7. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Don't know it, I just found it simpler to use the remote for now. When the Tx summer cools off I will attempt it, but try WWW.homelink.com., and/or do a www.goggle.com and do a search by typing homelink and looking for the web site for that company.

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

9. taaustin

taaustin New Member

ahem... I'm not QUITE that dense. :) - though I do have my moments. I spent all day yesterday trying various permutations of that, together with finding that the technology may belong to a company called Johnson Controls (www.johnsoncontrols.com).

Unless they've got a crashed server - www.homelink.com gives a 404 page not found error. While Johnsoncontrols seems to be great at advertising I never quite found any tech materials on their site. I'm having trouble getting the system to recognize a remote.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's the correct URL for Homelink I've used it in the past. Obviously it's down today.

My Prius refused to accept programming until I followed the reset procedure in the owner manual. I had to hold the buttons down far longer than they recommended, almost 3 minutes, before the LED blinked.

11. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Yep the link is good..tried it. I think the reset is the problem, once incorrect efforts are made to set the thing.. waiting for a cool day, and I'll give it another try

12. tomandbecky

tomandbecky New Member

If you have a Wayne Dalton Quantum opener, it will not program to the HomeLink. Homelink makes some gismo that once installed on your opener, will then allow programing. I think it cost about $60. Type in Wayne Dalton Quantum opener-Homelink on Google and it will find it for you.

Tom