1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garaging by IPA, and regional differences..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hyphz, Nov 29, 2010.

1. hyphz

hyphz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a couple of questions after I tried IPA in a car park for the first time last night. First, is there a list of regional differences between Prius systems somewhere? I was rather surprised that the IPA *didn't* announce every turn it made ("the steering wheel will turn.."), like it did on every single video of it I've watched.

Also, I was hoping I could reverse into my garage by IPA (I was used to pulling my old car out of the garage manually in the morning but the fact the Prius autoshifts to P when stopped has messed up that plan) but it doesn't recognize the garage is a parking space. Is it worth me painting some white lines inside the garage for it to lock onto?

Thanks!

2. hyphz

hyphz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the regional differences, I also found out that the UK Prius apparently doesn't have the button under the dash for turning off the pre-crash braking (even though I have the Safety Pack), nor does it have the USB interface next to the Aux audio (which is a bit of a downer for my iPodding)

The sales chap at the dealership just offered to have me "bring the car in and I'll get a technician to find them for you!" which could be interesting! :)

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think it recognizes lines. If you activate the system in the middle of nowhere, it'll tag a space regardless of lines (as long as the area is open). Most likely where you were when you pulled up next to your garage wasn't in the appropriate area and distance for it to detect the area inside your garage as a parking spot.

My advice is just to park manually.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a "version" difference rather than regional. The first IPA (launched in 2004 with the Prius in Japan) had voiceovers that told the driver that the steering wheel was going to move. I believed that carried over to the 2006 version (late 2005 since you guys tag it with the CY rather than MY) to Europe with English instructions. This was taken away with the launch of the 2nd generation in the Lexus LS (and renamed Advanced Parking Guidance System or APGS).

I'm guessing you're trying to park into the garage with the Pre-Support function (using the button). Try doing it without it (i.e. angle the car like you would with the Pre-Support function and then pressing the "back-in" button on the screen when you shift into Reverse. It'll outline a box regardless of whether there's any lines there).

1 person likes this.
  5. hyphz

hyphz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting! For what it's worth, the UK manual still calls it IPA throughout.

Do you happen to know if the UK got the USB AUX or not?

6. guinness_fr

guinness_fr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really want to test, use white toilet paper before painting lines in your garage (my gf suggested this when I had planned to do the same - by the way it did not work much better with the lines).

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah our 2010 owner's manual calls it IPA. It will change to APGS for 2011 to be more inline with the Lexus models (which I find odd... since Lexus likes to make their own name to distant themselves from their lesser Toyota cousins... such as SmartAccess vs. Smart Key System and Lexus Hybrid Drive vs. Hybrid Synergy Drive).

I have no idea. You'll have to ask the UK folks. It's tough enough keeping up with two countries!! (Canada and the US).