1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS Placement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrblaise, May 24, 2008.

1. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my new Garmin Nuvi 660 (a great deal on Ebay) and mounted it in the Prius. I found a great place on the center console. I also attached an external microphone on the driver's side post as the Nuvi has Buetooth. I love the placement and the external microphone works great with the Nuvi 660. I also set it up so the navigation gives turn directions through the Prius stereo. I'm really happy with this unit. Here are a few photos of the placement in the car.

Attached Files:

2. Tchou

Tchou Member

I would say that this placement is really dumb, you could have put it on the back of your seat it would be the same...
    When you look at the unit you have to turn your eyes of the road, the best placement would be to have the unit in your field of vision when you look at the road, why do you think the tachometer, and the MFD are placed like this ?

3. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not tell me how you really feel. lol :rolleyes: I don't need to take my eyes off the road to hear verbal directions, which is how I use my GPS. Thank you for enlightening me though ......

4. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd have to agree with mrblaise, that's a terrible place to mount it. I also have a Nuvi 660 I use in my BMW and I like it up at visor level. Biggest thing to remember is DONOT mount it at Eye Level as that illegal in most states and a cop having a bad day may just decide to cite you. So the idea is either down low on the dash or like I do up high so it hangs down no lower than the visor when its in its down position.

5. Tchou

Tchou Member

I have a nuvi, and it's not that often the verbal directions are sufficient, you often need to see where the GPS wants you to go...

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I totally disagree with you. I used a Nuvi 350 before getting the 660 and hardly ever looked at it to see where I was going. I'm using the Nuvi 660 as both a bluetooth and a navigation device and it's fine where it is. If you need to see the device as well as hear it, it probably wouldn't work for you. I don't need that crutch. I like the placement. To me, It also looks much better than on the dash. It suits my purpose perfectly.