1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garmin USA Version 2.0 Out For iPhone

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JoelIrwin, Nov 23, 2011.

1. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The latest version of this app has come out for the iPhone last night and I downloaded it and tried it out. It has some improvements both interface and functional. I used it this morning in my Prius driving and it functioned well.

One of things that caused a problem has been fixed. The app used to speak the directions during an active route any time any other app was connected and using the Prius "bluetooth audio" facility (i.e., 'a2dp'). Now, there is a 'mute' button so if you don't want to hear directions, this is the way.

I continue to use this app as my primary GPS in the car and NOT my Prius navigation system. The Garmin app will fully function above 10 mph. In addition, the map updates (quarterly) are free (and include red light camera locations). I don't subscribe currently to their traffic, road cameras, and gas prices (which are yearly subscriptions) since I have FREE apps that do the same thing like "BeatTheTraffic" and "Gas Buddy".

The Apple iPhone store did not see this version is iOs 5 compliant but I am using it on the latest iOs 5.0.1 on a iPhone 4 with no problem. I have seen the iTunes store a couple of complaints about the newer iPhone 4s but I not sure if there are problems on all 4s's.

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice - if only Garmin would make an "in-dash" unit for a Prius like the Rosen...I'd buy one.

3. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeh - look how long it to them to realize the legitamacy of the smartphone market. I believe they would have skipped it had it not been for the competition like tom tom and Magellan.

One of the 'intangibles' I recently realized was that I had owned the Nuvi 3790t which at the time cost me $100 more than my 32 gb iPhone 4 about 6 to 12 months later. I really liked the 3790t and its functionality however, I was constantly worried my car would be vandalized if I left it there (even worried about leaving an empty holder). Most of the times I hid it elsewhere in the car and sometimes (like at school) I just took it with me. My father had two Nuvi's stolen from his car. I don't worry about it with my Garmin app because I know I will always take my phone with me (though I still leave the RAM-Mount). Doesn't sound like much of a difference but that lack of worry has some sort of value to it.

I don't mind the smaller iPhone screen because it sits right behind and slightly to the left of the steering wheel so its closer and I take my eyes off the road less.

Also, when I bought my Prius in July, I knew I was going to get the navigation unit and would probably not use it (that was before I knew about the 10 mph cap which definitely solidified that!). I bought the unit because of all the other things I wanted like the moon roof with solar panel, the USB connector, etc.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just FYI Garmin bought Navigon, which also came out with an update recently. Navigon now let's you download just the maps you need, saving space on your phone. I assume Garmin still downloads on the fly, rather than storing maps locally.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I like TomTom's newer nav units. The suction cup & arm is integrated into the unit so you take both with you when you leave instead of the traditional two-piece nav + suction cup/holder.

6. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Garmin has two different iPhone apps - Garmin USA downloads all the maps at the install (uses about 2+ GB on your iPhone). That is currently the most functional of their apps IMHO. I also own the other one which was originally called "Garmin Streetpilot" (no relation to the old Garmin unit). This is the one which loads the maps as it needs it.

On the Garmin site the former is called "Streetpilot USA Onboard" and later "Streetpilot on Demand". On iTunes they are called "Garmin USA" and "Garmin Streetpilot". On iTunes, "Garmin Streetpilot On Demand" is a stripped down 99 cent version of "Garmin Streetpilot". Sort of confusing.

Tideland - I can see your point. My point with the iPhone though is I don't mind leaving the RAM-Mount - I'll take the risk. I have it exactly positioned where it is best viewable and 'coolable' which is between the steering wheel and that little window on the left directly above the left AC vent. Garmins and TomToms are designed for hot cars and direct sunlight and won't overheat. iPhones can not tolerate heat and if the sun shines on it through the windshield (even if it is cool outside), the iPhone overheats and turns off the backlight display making everything unviewable. Since I purchased my Prius in July, I have never had an overheating problem because (1) the sun rarely shines in that exact spot and (2) the AC cools the phone.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the mount is ok. Most thieves know the difference btwn a phone and a GPS mount I would think. Or they would not bother unless they see the physical unit.