1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas... $1.33/gallon, no more E10

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Dec 30, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas prices at a record low for the year | KY3 | Local

While the local news story above talks about $1.39/gallon, on the way to work tonight I saw $1.33 at the station closest to my house. If form holds Wal-mart will be $1.30 with the $0.03/gallon discount tomorrow morning when I fill up.

What's interesting is that the state E10 laws only require stations to use E10 down to about $1.40/gallon b/c it is no longer cost effective below that...so we may be seeing 'full strength' gas again soon...that'll be a boon for my winter fuel economy if so!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The same pattern happened to Jimmy Carter and his energy initiatives. The price of energy had been held high and when Reagan came in, it crashed. Reagan then used that crash to justify killing Carter's energy initiatives.

IMHO, the right answer is to use the Federal and State governments to continue maintenance of an ethanol industry. This keeps the plants open and technical improvements continuing.

Bob Wilson

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree 100% Bob...and the cost difference would be minimal. But I'm not really too worried, prices will be up again soon enough, just can't see them staying this low for long.

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Some states requires oxygenated gas, adding ethanol is the only means to meet this requirement. So ethanol will not go away but just keep the gas price from falling too low.

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wish the best for you Evan, but don't hold your breath. I heard on the news last night that crude prices went up 14% and is anticipated to hit $60/barrell by March.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I'm totally OK with that...most people are motivated to change only by incentives that reap personal benefit...if that means higher gas prices to convince them to do the right thing and buy fuel efficient vehicles...bring on the higher prices. We were seeing some really positive things when gas was $4/gallon... more car pooling, less driving overall, more biking, more hybrids sold, more interest in EVs and PHEVs, all what we need.

People see $1.30 and instead of thinking, "This can't last", they just think "this is great, why change".

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And some states, like ours, are farming states where E10 amounts to a subsidy. Michigan has required E10 for years.

Tom

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Starting with the winter-formula, Minnesota required it since the early 90's.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The law is relatively new here in MO, but we too have an E10 law. But there's a loophole in that law where if the price of gas drops below a certain level they can go back to full strength b/c the cost of ethanol is higher than the gas at that point. I don't think anyone really thought that loophole would come into play!

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It was $1.29/gallon here a few weeks ago, but has risen back to $1.34/gallon.

Now is the time to crank up the gasoline sales taxes to set a floor on prices and to fund road infrastructure that has been neglected for two decades. I would rather pay the same amount (or less actually) on gas to improve the roads than send the same money to the Mideast or Venezuela, but that's just me.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i call for an immediate $1 per gallon gas tax to fund alternative energy projects to include a high efficiency power transmission grid, EV tech, EV infrastructure, solar, wave, wind.

make a target of $2.50 per gallon and make it upwardly adjustable based on economic recovery.... we should not in anyway whatsoever pay less that this for gas. its totally irresponsible management of funds.

how are we going to pay off the massive debt we have incurred AND fund needed projects aimed at getting off this parasitic oil tit??

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Fuel price crashing during Reagan's rein and the reasons & tactics used to bring it about, are an unbelievable read. As for low gas pricing? Hey, Perfect time to tax fuel. R & D for EV's and/or grain alternatives could really benefit, as well as a ton of other things. I know, not popular.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where did you hear that? Oil was not up 15% yesterday, it was up 8% and so far today its down nearly 5% to $38.17 a barrel. How can someone "anticipate" $60 a barrel by March from one day's growth when it always swings back just as hard the next day? It'll continue to be down today due to the market rally. Tomorrow people will get freaked and take their money back out of the market and put it in commodities and it'll go up again. The next day down. Its been this way for 2 months now.

These people have no idea what they are talking about.

Personally, I think we're going to see oil go lower before it goes higher. $25 a barrel or so. The demand is just so low and I don't see any economic indicators on the horizon that would lead me to believe that will change by March, certainly not to the tune of a 73% increase from today in 2-3 months. Thats insane.

As for taxing gas prices, in case you guys haven't noticed the economy is in pretty bad shape. One small silver lining is that people have a lot of savings monthly on gas right now. If you want to donate to alternative energy, great do so. But leave everybody else alone who are more concerned with feeding their families and looking for jobs at Walmart because they can't stay retired than thinking about the future of energy.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who said that? the same Goldman "analyst" who said it was going to $200/barrel by the end of the year. Probably the same guy who has been giving Bush economic advice the last 8 years. Oil will be under $20/barrel before the end of Feb.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    and why is it in bad shape???

debt is why. we have put ourselves in a hole that will completely ruin our economy if we dont start paying down the debt and do it NOW we are in big trouble... so how do we do that??

we start raising taxes but indiscriminately?? because that is how taxes work. taxing gas is less indiscriminate because it based on consumption. it also encourages people to use less of it, get something more efficient, etc....

besides we have been paying $2.50 a gallon for quite a while now. there is no reason why we cant pay 25-40% of the level the rest of the civilized world pays...
    NO REASON AT ALL

16. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That "silver lining" is the same trap that got us into this energy mess. The energy market in the U.S. needs to be reset or we will be in for a much worse shock when the world emerges from recession.

We're already at least 10 years behind the curve on increasing the gasoline tax just to pay for infrastructure. As it is, fuel taxes for infrastructure or alternative energy are essentially full recycle back into the economy. Where the mistake has been is in not doing infrastructure maintenance and improvement and having no energy policy.

Tax the dolts who don't get it first.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Outside of every silver lining is a cloud.

Tom

18. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Watch Frontline's "Heat" (originally broadcast 21 Oct 2008, now available as DVD). E10 is not available in most states. In states where E10 is available it is extremely limited. Detroit may be producing flexfuel vehicles, but very few people have access to E10.

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I sure see plenty of Ethanol trains headed for the east coast roll by here. But I wish it was Butanol being pumped through pipelines. The low cost of gasoline will kill Ethanol because of transportation costs. Maybe now is the time for a federal butanol initiative?

20. REDWIND88

REDWIND88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gee, our additive in Seattle is 60 cents a gallon surcharge for our wonderfull mis-managed road tax. We are paying $1.89 a gallon-even California is cheaper.