1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Boycott May 19

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Kablooie, May 14, 2004.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found this on the net.

------------------------------------

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID
    NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME,
    THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS
    OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE
    OIL COMPANIES. THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT
    UP THEIR
    BEHIND" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP
    OF
    GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS
    MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD
    OUT. REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP
    BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES,
    TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS
    PRICES
    ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING
    MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE
    DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO
    EVERYONE
    YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE
    CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
    ----------------------

2. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    yea, sure, whatever... I does not work that way, but sure sounds nice. we have high prices because the demand out strips the production. If you want to blame anyone then you have to point you finger at the Gov... state and fed. Do you know how many different "Blends" that are required to produce? Do you know how many production sites there are... because of the Blending and other factors Shell closed (I think) 2 big production sites. And, thus reduced the supply big time... the end result was higher prices, planed? Don't know but would lean that way.

And one day, is a drop in the bucket... it would just be made up in less than two days.. and what about Fedex drivers, the mail, your newspaper, the police, fire, emr... is friday trash day? And what are the Taxi drivers to do?

What we need is to force the MPG for all vehicles to be increased and the older vehicles forced off the road. The real solution is Elec.... not fuelcell, but the best battery has not been found... fuelcell is a step in the right direction if and only if the fuel is created by ELEC (wind, hydro, thermal) anything else can cause more pollution than what it replaces... can you say COAL fired.

Ok, off my high horse, and back to work... :mrgreen:

3. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :lolup: :lolup: :cussing: :cussing:
    This has been tried in past years and it will never work :!:
    What happens is everyone that doesn't buy on that day will buy the day before or the day after. The Oil Co. will sell more in the long run for the three to four day period. The only way this idea would work would be if everyone would not drive for a whole week :!: And even then they would find a way to recover their losses, it's a no win effort. Oil Co. do not like hybrids they love SUV's :!:
    :computer: :wave:

4. fred

fred New Member

this screaming (all capital letters) call to actions should be more appropiately sent to the general discussion part of the forum.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ha ha ha! We buy gas once a month and somebody's supposed to notice if none of us buys gas on May 19???

As for the rest, sure, if you could get everybody to do or not do anything all on the same day you coud make an impact. But it sure ain't gonna happen by forwarding a spam email to everyone on your email list!

6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This will not change the amount people drive. It will only move the purchase a day or two earlier or later. For most people there is not a lot of optional driving so there is little flexibility on the demand curve. That is a change in price does little to change the demand.

How much will the price of gas have to go up for people to take "drastic" action to reduce their demand, such as:

1. Move to shorten the commute.

2. Change jobs to shorten the commute.

3. Trade the gas-guzzler for a fuel/energy efficient vehicle.

:? :? :? :? :?

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

I'm already not going to buy gas on May 19th - I own a freaking Prius. I buy gas once a week, sometimes longer, even though I drive 500+ miles a week.

-m.

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

Actually, DON'T DO THIS!!!!! I've heard from a friend of a friend that if you follow through, you'll wake up on May 20th in a BATHTUB FULL OF ICE with a sign around your neck that tells you to CALL 911! It seems you fell for the BLACK MARKET KIDNEY scam, but not to fret, the 911 dispatcher informs you that MICHAEL EISNER and BILL GATES received your FORWARDED EMAILS FOR DISNEY AND MICROSOFT and are PAYING $5 FOR EACH PERSON YOU FORWARDED TO! Your kidney operation will be free afterall! Unfortunately, YOUR CAT IS DEAD BECAUSE YOU MOPPED YOUR FLOOR WITH YOUR SWIFFER WETJET and THE TERRORISTS HAVE YOUR MONEY BECAUSE YOU BOUGHT IT AT TARGET!!! But you'll be ok, as long as YOU DON'T DRINK PEPSI WITH DATES AFTER THE 4TH OF JULY - no, an arab gave me this tip at Kmart!

Just as an aside note - any, ANY email you get, I highly suggest checking out a site called http://www.snopes.com - they track urban legends and email scams and all that. Thanks. And don't forget, HYBRIDS AREN'T SAFE BECAUSE THE HIGH VOLTAGE THAT RUNS THROUGH THE DOORS CAN KILL YOU AND YOU WON'T BE RESCUED! No! Ford and GM told me this it's true!!

-m.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And that is the EXACT purpose of of messages like this. Somebody gets their jollies clogging the email systems with "IMPORTANT!! Send to evveryone you know!" messages.

10. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well here is one TAXI driver's answer :!:
    :computer: :wave:

11. shona

shona New Member

"Unfortunately, YOUR CAT IS DEAD BECAUSE YOU MOPPED YOUR FLOOR WITH YOUR SWIFFER WETJET"

Really!? I though Urban Legend was only for Febreze. I hadn't heard that one. I guess someone really does not like P&G.

shona

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's really pathetic are the people who actually delete system files because one of those emails tells them it's a virus that Norton, etc., cannot detect!

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oooops, the newspaper must have missed the taxi driver that used a classic as a taxi, which Toyota bought back to tear it down when he was done.