1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tom6850, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With gas prices increasing again what credit cards are the best to use for discounts at gas stations?

Hess gas stations offer a credit card (Chase) that gives a 10% discount for 6 months then a 5% discount after that for all gas purchases at Hess gas stations. Wawa offers the same deal for gas purchases at Wawa gas stations. Both offer 1% discount on all other purchases and gas purchases at other gas stations.

Do any credit cards offer a similar discount regardless of which gas station you use, if I went to Hess, Wawa, Sunoco, etc. I would still get at least a 5% discount with the same credit card?

2. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Jul 11 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]476708[/snapback]</div>

Discover card - gives you 5% cash back on all gas.

3. etawful

etawful New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My girlfriend and I were at Costco last night, and she applied for their Costco/Amex card. It has a rebate on all purchases made anywhere, I thought the sign said 5% on gas purchases, but I can't find that info on line. I also can't find if that's on gas purchased made at Costco or everywhere (since the Costco we were at doesn't sell gas, I hope it's everywhere).

Just something to check into.

Citgo also offers a 5% rebate card. A while back (last year some time), they had a promotion going where it was 15% back for the first three months you had the card or something like that. I'm not sure if they still have that offer or not.

4. DGCL

DGCL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use Citi Driver's Edge (despite my general dislike for Citi). 6% back on gas, groceries, and drugs for the first year, then 3%. Use it at any station. But the best part is you also get $1 for every 100 miles you drive (you send in your service receipts to prove it). You can redeem the cash for a new car or any maintenance or repair.

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Costco sells gasoline at $0.03 to $0.05 less than regular stations. Costco dividend is 1% on purchases made with a Costco/AMEX card (more for dining out and travel).

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We have a new trend in NJ. Between Hightstown and Florence many gas stations of various brands are posting cash and credit prices for 87 octane. Apparantly they are not handling the higher grades anymore. This makes sense if they converted the pump for premium to credit.

7. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 11 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]477248[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen this here at one gas station (so far) with different cash/credit prices for all three grades. It actually kind of surprised me because I thought there was a law (either state or federal) stating that merchants couldn't charge different prices based on payment method?

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 11 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]477248[/snapback]</div>
    The observed stations are now between Hightstown & Burlington. They only advertize regular but still sell the 3 grades. It makes for some interesting competition. The 1 price Shell is the same as the cash price Valero across the road.

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 11 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]477073[/snapback]</div>
    Acutally their new business card gives 5% on gas purchases as well:
    5% for purchases of automobile gas at Costco Gasoline and stand-alone gas stations, excluding gas purchased at warehouse clubs other than Costco, superstores or supermarkets; 3% at restaurants; 2% for travel purchases from airline, lodging, car rental, cruise line, travel agency and tour operators; or 1% on all other Eligible Purchases posted to your account.