1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas engine stumbles before cutting off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theegg, Jun 2, 2008.

1. theegg

theegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 8500 miles on my 08 Prius. Recently, when I come to a stop, the gas engine sounds like it is "stumbling", the car shakes noticeably & then the gas engine cuts off. It tends to do it a lot when I start the car, drive a few yards, and stop before pulling onto the street. The car will have sat for 4 or 5 hours, and the ambient temperature in GA has been in the 90s. Is this engine behavior common? It doesn't do it all the time. And I haven't noticed any decrease in performance. Suggestions please.:)

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Totally normal operating procedure for a Prius.
    Suggestion: Relax and smile each time it does it . . . you are saving gas!

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Perfectly normal. If you do a search for "stages of operation" you'll get lots of info. The one I'm attaching has some great links at the bottom.

Attached Files:

4. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I switch to the Mobil 1 0-w20 oil about 1500 miles ago and my car hasn't stumbled like that since. In fact my passengers can't even tell when the engine cuts out.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I too switched to Mobile 1 synthetic . . . 45,000+ miles ago, and I still feel the hard stumble every once in a while.

Oil has little to do with it.