1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas engine turns on within a few seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SandyB, Oct 4, 2006.

1. SandyB

SandyB New Member

I've had my '06 for a month and have 1000 miles on it; it's inching up to 45 mpg... :D
    My first question is:
    Why does the gas engine turn on so quickly, usually within a few seconds, even without hitting the gas pedal. Does this affect the gas mileage?

Thanks!

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Remember

The Prius is designed first for low emissions and second for good mileage.

The first thing it does when it wakes up is heat up the catalytic converters.

When it's done with that, it thinks about shutting off when it's not needed.

Yes, it does affect mileage. That's why many short trips is much worse on mileage than one longer trip even if you stop a couple of times along the way.

You will always find your first 5 minute bar is pretty low. If your commute is short or you generally don't drive long enough for the car to spend time fully warmed up, your overall mileage will be lower than if you drove the same distance in fewer longer trips.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :D Hi SBaker!! Welcome to PC!!

When you start the Pruis, the battery motor starts first, shortly thereafter the ICE (internal combustion engine) starts and runs a short while (length of time running varies with conditions, i.e. temperature, etc.) to warm up the engine. Then your ICE probably shuts off. Your Pruis will run this cycle each time you start it, no matter whether its the first time in the morning, or just after a short stop and run in to a quick stop.

this is entirely normal, actually its a sign that your car is fine. You will also find that after the first 15 minutes or so on each trip, your car will be fully warmed up and your mileage should (will) increase. So, the more long trips you can make the better your mileage will be.

Welcome to the club!! post often with any questions you may have, and let us know how your mileage does....... it will certainly improve in time, and as everyone else has experienced, after the first 5000 miles, when you car is broken in more, your overall mileage will improve as well.

4. SandyB

SandyB New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll pass this info along.
    I've found I've got to be an expert on this car; i'm getting questions from friends and coworkers.

I've got to learn about the car & how to chat & choose the right emoticons :rolleyes:

5. bdirwin

bdirwin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SBaker @ Oct 5 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]328770[/snapback]</div>
    You'll learn a lot here. I've got 3500 miles on mine so far, and I'm getting close to 50 mpg. I just increased my tire pressure to 42/40 per discussions in the mod forum. The ride is much harsher, but not too bad. My mpg now says 51.6 so far on this tank! We'll see if I can keep that for the full tank.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LuvMy06Prius @ Oct 6 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]328823[/snapback]</div>
    How about the rattles caused by the harsh ride. Not too bad?