1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas engine won't crank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chaomoua88, Mar 19, 2019.

1. chaomoua88

chaomoua88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have a 2008 prius my brother drove it through a flooded road going slowly.. after that the car wouldn't go pass 3-5 mph a lot of dash light same on.. now the car wont go into D or R at one point the motor did crank once and that was it.. READY flash 4-5 times then it'll go away... Things a check so far inverter water pump motor oil radiator fluid they all same to be good.. Im thinking it might just be a fuse or a relay but not sure which on all fuse seems to look fine... i also replace my 12v battery still same thing any one ever had this problem or can pin point me what to check plz give my a call or text since am hardly online.. thank you prius buddy's .. im located in Sacramento ca. 559 284 8252..

#1 chaomoua88, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most likely you have moisture/water in some of the HV cable connectors or AC compressor. The HV system is supposed to be completely isolated from the car body(chassis ground). Moisture in connectors tends to cause problems, either between the HV system and chassis, or between the two HV cables. The best thing you can do is find someone with techstream to go on line with your car and see what the shortwave value is. It will be a voltage measurement from 5v to 0v. 5v is the best insulation resistance. 0v is the worst. It would at least give you somewhere to start.

You can always try unplugging the AC compressor power cable from the passenger side front corner of the inverter. If the AC compressor is the problem, it should remove the AC motor from the circuit. See if it makes enough difference to let he car go ready.

Also, as a reminder, Prius and flooded road just don't belong in the same sentence..........

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look for water in the orange high voltage cabling to the transaxle or the AC compressor.

4. chaomoua88

chaomoua88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks guys finally got a good code reader.. its showing code
    P0A0D TOYOTA - High Voltage System Interlock Circuit High.. ill check the AC compressor power cable and transaxle later when i have time.. thanks

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That code generally means the safety interlock plug was removed at some point and not re-installed correctly.

Usually the third step of ensuring the handle is pushed downward until it clicks firmly into the locked position is not done correctly. You should check this before moving on to more involved diagnosis.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty unusual for that code to show up while driving. Maybe the fuse inside the safety disconnect popped during the "at one point the motor did crank once and that was it.." episode.
    If the fuse is good, it may be a wiring issue for the interlock circuit.

How high was the water? Did anything get inside the car?

7. chaomoua88

chaomoua88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Water was about 8" max didnt feel any way spot inside the car..