1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas fill up time.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hal W, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Best system for filling the G2 gas tank?:confused:

2. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fill it until the gas station pump auto shuts off. That's it.......don't over fill it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never had an issue, i fill til it clics, then round up. it usually takes 8-10 gallons depending on how low it is when i fill.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That failed miserably on the Gen2 rental I drove, where the auto shutoff started tripping at about one-third the amount of fuel it should have taken. We Gen3 owners cannot translate our no-bladder experience back to the Gen2s.

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2 blips and all can get into the tank is 6 gal! It supposed to be a 45 liter tank. H

6. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Sure that can happen......some pump nozzles are more sensitive then they should be.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No it has nothing to do with the pump nozzle. It has everything to do with how much fuel is in the tank, how much air is trapped in the bladder and how cold it is making the bladder very unflexible. I can prove it.
    All you need to do is vent the tank a little before fueling. Go back to the station with the cranky nozzle. Open the gas fill cap and leave it off. Go inside for a few minutes letting the tank vent. Come back and pump on slow as possible and you'll be able to get 7-8 gallons every single time. No vent...prepare for fuel in your shoes.

Been doing this for 2 years with never a problem. Before I figured it out I thought every station in town had a bad nozzle.

1 person likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that your fuel tank has the bladder.

1. The capacity of the fuel tank with bladder is variable, and can diminish by ~1.5 gallons in very cold weather.

2. Use the MFD to keep track of fuel consumed since last refill, by resetting the mpg and miles counter each time you refuel. Then, at your next refueling stop, if you see that you have (for example) driven 300 miles at 50 mpg, you know that you need to pump at least 6 gallons before you are done.

3. You can continue to pump gas after the first pump click off, to see just how much fuel you can get into the system. (In my experience, it is possible to pump up to another 2 gallons from that point.) However, you run a risk of damaging fuel tank components if the tank is overfilled and the car is then parked in hot summer weather where the liquid fuel can expand into the charcoal canister. Hence, this is not a recommended practice.

2 people like this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nozzles wear out and must routinely be replaced. They also differ from region to region. So, they can be a factor.

10. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I typically fill until it clicks off, then wash the windows to give the tank a minute or two, then fill until it clicks again.

1 person likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there must be something defective in some cars. 6 years of driving an 04 and 08 in temps between 10 below and 105 and i have never had an issue filling the tank. :confused:

12. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have never managed to get more than 8 gal. in there. I guess there is maybe still a fare amount left in the tank. With most cars I normally fill after the last bip , but after reading on PC about problem when running out I am reluctant to try this with the bladder tank.H

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the easiest thing to do is watch your mfd mpg's and distance driven as someone above mentioned. if you go 400 miles at 40 mpg, you cannot have more than 2 gallons left in the tank. then fill it and do it again. after a while, you'll get a feel for what's happening. all the best!:)

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Me neither. It a rare event to get more than 8 gallons even if the pip is blinking which only happened once or twice when I was stuck. Now I never let it go below 2 pips and its 8 gallons everytime
    on slow first click its hang up the pump.

15. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd never really had an issue with short fills until recently, expecting at least 8 gallons and only got 5.5. Here in Oregon we can't pump our own (or don't have to, as one's perspective may be) so I told the guy to try a little more. It'd been sitting with the pump off for a minute or so while he helped someone else. Still wouldn't take any more, clicking off immediately. Total fill 5.75gal. Drove away with one pip off the gauge right from the start. Next fill up, no problem. For now I'm blaming the nozzle at that one pump.

- D

16. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have more issues in cold weather as well. Some stations seem to have pumps that are more problematic than others...shop around. Make sure your car does not tilt down on the driver's side which seems to cause me early cutoff as well.
    Solution :
    Fill up more often in cold weather. At least you get to enjoy watching other vehicles take $40-$80 while you fill and leave with $15 on the pump :rolleyes:

17. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, thanks fellows, it sounds like this is a common issue with the G2. H

18. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bladder in older models...a problem where ever they appear...:rolleyes:

19. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is a 06 with 12,000 miles considered old? H

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah. oh you mean older, as in bladder problems? i didn't know they changed the bladder at all from 04-09?

1 person likes this.