1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Gauge was at 1/2 Full, Now showing Full, did not add fuel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by txtabby, Oct 18, 2014.

1. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I left the house and parked on a hill parking lot, drivers side lower than the passenger. When I left, I was driving around and noticed the gas gauge, which had been at half full, was now showing full. I thought if I shut off the car, that might reset everything. It didn't. Anything I can do to fix this? Top the tank and see if that won't fix it? Or take it in? It sounds like a stuck sensor.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fuel gauge should eventually reset on its own. You can expedite this by disconnecting the 12V negative cable for a few minutes.

Or you can just fill up the fuel tank now, then the actual tank level will correspond with the current fuel gauge reading. Then reset the trip odometer on the MFD so that you have a convenient way to see how many miles have been driven since the fuel tank was filled.

If the fuel gauge doesn't start to drop down after driving 150 miles, then start to be concerned.

3. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try this tomorrow.