1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by IABoy987, Nov 25, 2011.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The other day when filling the tank, the gauge did not go all the way to full 10 blocks. The tank was full as it clicked off on second nozzel lever pull.
    Thought it would correct after a few minutes as it usually does, but did not. Today we drove 300 mile trip and noticed the gauge began turning off blocks as it should as gas was used. It stopped at about right number of blocks for 300 miles. Refilled tank but gauge stops at 8 blocks again.
    Is this a known problem? Is there an easy fix, say disconnecting the 12V battery for several minutes which might reset the gauge computer? I have already scheduled it into toyota for a look/see.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2 people like this.
  3. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well did the recalibration routine today and the numbers did what the above poster said it would. So tommorrow I will be out and about and fill the tank (on level ground!) and see if the gauge goes full 10 blocks.

4. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That did it! Wife said she filled the tank, nozzel clicked off and gauge steadily climbed from 3 bars to 10.
    Thanks cwerdna. Now I can cancel the Toyota appointment and save $60 service charge. And if they should ask, I will tell them I found the answer here, then hold the phone from my ear as !@#$%^&*() spews forth!

1 person likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good to know that it worked!

I'd also definitely keep an eye on how many miles you go before the "guess gauge" looks low (2 or 3 pips) vs. MFD displayed mileage. Would hate for you to have the opposite problem of running out w/2 or 3 pips showing. (Not that I've ever had such a problem.)