1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DanMichSr, Apr 23, 2007.

1. DanMichSr

DanMichSr New Member

I have read where alot of owners have had trouble with the gas gague reading. I did in the winter but started filling it myself very slow and that corrected the problem. It seemed very accurate after doing that.

Here is a funny one though at 70 degrees..... I was down to two marks on the gague and I filled it up with about 8 gallons and it went to full on the gague. I put on 250 miles and it had all the markers shower except 1. That would tell me that I was almost full and I knew better. I have only about 20 miles on this tank of gas and when I drive a few hundered on it I'll post to this note and update it.

Has anyone else seen this ??

2. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

3. DanMichSr

DanMichSr New Member

I should have just said that I have driven over 250 miles on this tank of gas and it's still reading full...

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMichSr @ Apr 24 2007, 04:22 AM) [snapback]428915[/snapback]</div>
    I've never had anything that extreme. Right now I'm showing 4 bars left (I'll have to check the CAN-View for % fuel remaining when I take the car home). I'm a about 310 miles. But most people never stay at the full mark more more than about 150 miles. Sometimes the gauge is a little slow to adjust after a fill-up, and I have noticed it while driving flip back and forth between 2 different bars a few times. It's conceivable that occasionally the float in the fuel gauge sensor sticks. I wouldn't trust the gauge if it doesn't change soon with a drop of just more than one pip. Either that, or you've got a miracle car. I.e., more than just the normal Prius.

Dave M.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is an old joke is about neighbors who with the wife/husband's help, sneak over at night an put an extra gallon in the tank for a couple of weeks. Then they stop.

I've been doing some gasoline testing and have gone from 75 to 130 miles with the "low fuel warning" flashing. Now, I hardly even notice except to make sure my one gallon, spare can is ready to go with the next fuel sample.

As for the gauge accuracy, I usually top off on Fridays and Sundays. This let me keep the weekend and weekday mileage separate.

Bob Wilson

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Apr 24 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]428966[/snapback]</div>
    When you run out, one gallon will not be enough. The fuel system computer will not allow the car to start again until approximately three gallons are added.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Apr 24 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]428975[/snapback]</div>
    I have an NHW11, 2003 Prius and it restarted four times already. Is this something unique to the NHW20, 2004-current?

Bob Wilson

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Apr 25 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]429667[/snapback]</div>
    I only added one gallon the one time I ran out. I had to make a couple of attempts to get the gas from the tank, but once it started it kept running until I got to the gas station. It ran out on an upgrade, but I don't know what effect that would have had.

This is a 2005 received from dealer in August of that year.

Dave M.

9. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

I had one time where I didn't lose my first pip till about 200 miles, and another time 160 miles or so. Other than those it actually is pretty accurate. At least it was better than my Isuzu with a broken gas gauge. My dad was dumb enough to go get it fixed, even though I just went by how many miles I had driven, and it costs him $300. I couldn't even help but till him hope stupid a decision that was.

Granted if my MPG changed more than a little I may have ended up stranded for a few minutes, but for $300 I think I'll take the chance.

Even with the new gas gauge in the Isuzu, before it got totaled, the Prius's gas gauge is still way more accurate. During the winter is does seem to act like an older gas gauge, you know how it goes through the second half of the tank faster than the first, but during the summer it's usually spot on, if not a bit optimistic until it actually starts running low. Still doesn't matter since I go on how many miles I've driven. Unless I happen to fill up on some random winter day here in GA when the temp goes well below freezing I just go by my computed MPG times 10 - 25 miles, then round done to the nearest 25 miles interval.

10. adegiulio

adegiulio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Apr 24 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]428975[/snapback]</div>
    Are you saying that if you run the tank dry, it wont start again until you add three gallons? How strange. What is the purpose of that design?

11. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

You know, that's a good question. I was writing a different response, but then I noticed how stupid and incorrect it was. I was going to say that the gas gauge would be inaccurate. But why would it really matter how accurate it is when you get that low? If you know how much you put in and the MPG you are getting the gas gauge is actually pretty useless.

You would think that even if the gas gauge wouldn't recognize it that the car would, but I guess not. Not all design features make sense, especially safety features. If we all learned to be better drivers we wouldn't need all the extra safety features, which would reduce a lot of weight.

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wouldn't a simple solution be to fill the gas tank up and reset your average consumption readout. Then as the tank is consumed simple multiply your average MPG by 10, and that tells you how many miles you can drive before filling up again. And it should take 10 gallons to do so. One can assume a full tank should always hold in excess of 10 gallons (regardless of bladder variables) and thus allowing a buffer for basic computed inaccuracies.
    The folks getting 45 MPG would fill up at 450 miles, 53Mpg;530 mile, 67 MPG; 670 miles etc..........

13. justifyd

justifyd New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Apr 27 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]430964[/snapback]</div>
    And you *shouldn't* be left by the side of the road with an empty gas tank. Unless, of course, you actually had less than 10 gallons of usable fuel to begin with. Just be careful with those assumptions. You're probably right, but it's no fun if you're wrong.

I've read some folks experienced having as little as about eight gallons of usable fuel during the winter.

- Justifyd

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my first tank the guess gauge showed one solid bar but the bladder only took 8.092 gallons with, 47mpg computed, 45.4 mpg real consumption for 367 miles.

I'm in my second one have driven about 230 miles with 4 bars left and computed average is at 48.4 mpg.

I estimate the real mpg to be 45-46.

If 8.092 gallons with 45.4 mpg will leave me to one solid guess gauge bar then I'm hoping to refill 9 gallons after 400 miles...