1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Guage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Christine.Anderson, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Christine.Anderson

Christine.Anderson New Member

Has anyone experienced this problem? I received the "beep" that I was running low on gas. I filled up, but it still is telling me that I'm empty.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You actually filled up the tank completely, or just added a couple gallons? If you don't fill at least 4 gallons the system doesn't reset and will indicate low fuel and won't reset the MFD.

If you did fill all the way up and it's doing this there may be a problem with the sender from the fuel tank that needs to be checked by your dealer.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    similar types of situations have been brought up, but i don't think it's been a serious problem for anyone. if you pumped less than a certain amount (i believe the threshold is 3 gallons) the gauge doesn't really register it. Also i think one or two people have posted saying it's taken the car a mile or two to recognize that it was filled and update the gauge accordingly... it's like a conventional car, you turn it back on and the needle starts to slowly climb back up :-p

i wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. give it a little time to fix itself (besides, you know how much gas you put in it and what your MPG is, so you should know about how far you can go, hehe), but if you keep having the problem, might as well take it in and have ti looked at.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This topic contains some good reading on the subject including instructions for calibration of the fuel gage:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...&hl=calibration

I think the calibration tells the software that controls the fuel gage that the car is level. That most likely isn't your problem, but could be. If you use the search function on this site and do a search for "fuel gage" you can learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Welcome to PC.