1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Gas?!!!...I don't have to buy no stinkin' gas!!!"

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by MunkusMPG, Feb 10, 2014.

1. MunkusMPG

MunkusMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My subject title is of course a salute to the great actor Alfonso Bedoya in the 1948 classic film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". My reference applies well to the subject of my wife's experience with her new Prius C. We purchased two 2013 Prius Cs on 1/12/2014. My wife wanted the Absolute Red (despite it being a package one) while I got a Moonglow (white) package two. I have driven more miles and have learned more about hypermiling so I have had one fill up with an average MPG of 56.28. My wife's car "Big Red" has yet to have it's first fill up. The dealership filled the tanks when we bought the cars and I am the only one that needed to fill up so far. Today marks one month since we got the cars. My wife drives almost exclusively in the city with an average of 17 miles per day and zero on the weekends. Tonight I checked her odometer and the car has a total of 304 miles on it with 4 gas gauge bars showing. It is important to note that she drove the car for two weeks like it was a regular car and averaged 45 MPG. The next two weeks she drove with the knowledge of how to maximize MPGs. However the climate here was sunny and in the 60s temperature wise for the first two weeks. It has been rainy and around the mid 40s to 50s ever since. I look forward to seeing how she does on her first fill up. It may well be that she will only have to fill up every 5 weeks! Gas this week cost 3.199 per gallon.

2. ucmenhvn

ucmenhvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my 13' C 2 last month on 1/9/14 about the same time you bought yours. It is also Moon Glow. My last car was black and i'll never get a black car again as long as i live. LOL. Too much maintenance. I have about 3400 miles on my C now. Did the dealership give you a good discount for buying 2?

3. MunkusMPG

MunkusMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They gave us about as much of a discount as possible. There is not as much mark up on the little car as there is on the upper priced Toyotas (or so they say). We were looking for 2013s and had only a handful from which to choose.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't gauge your MPGs too strictly based on the dealership tank of gas. They generally don't fill it up, but make it close enough to call it full.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is also important, with most models, to NOT trust the gas mileage reported by the onboard
    computers but to actually do the manual calculation when you fill the tank.

6. MunkusMPG

MunkusMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, my wife finally decided to refuel after 5 weeks of driving. The fill up only took a fraction over 7 gallons. We decided to stop the pump when it first clicked off and not try to "top it off". So the end result after 5 weeks of driving only on week days was an average of 51.3 MPG with 369 miles driven. This first tank of gas was from the dealer so we have no idea how full it really was. Also note that half of this time involved starting in cold weather with the ICE charging the traction battery. Factor in the fact that she had no clue how to drive a hybrid for the first 13 days and I would say the results are great!

ztanos likes this.