1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas indicator question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cendrizzi, Jan 23, 2007.

1. cendrizzi

cendrizzi New Member

I just got a used '05 prius and have really loved it.

So far I'm getting really good mpg even though it's a cold winter here in Utah. The one nagging issue I have, however, is that after filling it up all the way from only three bars with 6.2 gallons of gas (which seems to little for three bars), it only remained full for about a minute. It appears that it is way under counting how full the tank is. Actually, the bars in general seem pretty unreliable...

Any hints or help? It's still all under warranty.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'd say it's bladder effect, if it's really cold, below freezing that bladder will streach veryyyyy sloooooooly and it'll cause the gauge to read erratically. If you search here on PC you'll find at least a thousand posts on the "guess gauge" Did you get the owners manual when you bought the car? in it, it mentions the bladder will not accept the listed gallonage when cold. It's a lot like my wife's bladder, get her cold and it holds less.

3. cendrizzi

cendrizzi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jan 22 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]379391[/snapback]</div>
    I did see that but it seemed to suggest it happened in colder weather than what we are experiencing. With weather in the single digits (at night) I can't imagine it doesn't apply here however. Thanks for the help.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like normal Prius behavior to me. Same thing is happening here in New England. I filled on Saturday night in temps below 20F and lost my first pip within 15 minutes or so on the highway. Between that and and relatively miserable fuel economy (high winds, snow, cold...blah) I'm probably going to lose my fifth pip before I hit 150mi.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the 6.2 gallons is the issue. It's the fact that his first bar goes within a minute that's the issue.

6. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jan 22 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]379391[/snapback]</div>
    Now that is funny!

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cendrizzi @ Jan 23 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]379388[/snapback]</div>
    I don't notice and track how far I go on a pip or how long a pip lasts. Sounds like normal behavoir. Blocking your grill will help keep your engine warm and your mpg from dropping as much. Search for blocked grill and you'll find lots of applications that cost under $10.