1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas milage went downhill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Oct 9, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    recently my milage has wen to hell and a handbasket.

I used to average 44mpg in winter and about 47-49mpg in the warmer months.

Now I am seeing a best of 40mpg on the screen with my normal driving habits. I usually go 70-75mph on the freeway and I don't race around on city streets.

I had a problem with my battery ground cable being loose and causing starting issues and it seems like after that is when my milage has been really bad. I don't see how anyhting like tht could have caused a problem but I figure I'd ask.

If I try to drive careful I still can't get better than 45mpg now so something is not right. Temps are still in the 70s and 80s here.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your tire pressures first and foremost.... most common cause.

Make sure the oil isn't overfilled second most common.

Check that the parking brake is fully in the up position, can cause drag.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 9 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]330016[/snapback]</div>
    Good call. K.I.S.S.

Tire pressure was at 46/44. I'll check it in a sec.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhggg

The temps must have dropped quite a bit since I aired the tires up because today they were at 41/38. :(

How close are the brake pads supposed to be from the rotor? They seem awefully close lol

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 9 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]330045[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think those pressures would account for that much of a drop in mpg...some maybe, but not as much as you described. Still, put them where you had them and see what happens. And yea, in this transitional season it'll serve you well to keep an eye on them every couple of weeks as the temps vary.

If the rotor is particularly shiny that might be an indication that there's too much contact. Now, if you tend to brake late and hard or drive on rough roads a lot (which causes regen braking to stop and forces more friction brake use) that could also polish them. Most of us, however, tend to notice oxidation rather than shine thanks to the minimal friction brake use.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My rotors are very shiney but I also drive harder than a lot of the hyper-milage guys in here I'm sure. I don't drive agressive but I treat it like a normal car in most cases. If the milage stays really low I'll have the dealer take a look at it I guess. I'm not sure if the gas stations have changed their fuel mixtures for winter yet either.

Thank you for the advice. :)

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think everything's probably fine. Do take a look at that oil and boost the tires.
    You probably are on winter mix fuel...expect a 5% drop with that. Maybe a 5% drop for your lower-than-normal tire pressures. And maybe a 5-15% drop based upon tempertures alone. You said you've had winter driving before, but it also says you're based in Sacramento, so I wonder what temps you're used to. If the car is garaged or kept outside is a factor as well.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the interest of "science" I put the tires back to their original pressures of 46/44 rather than try something higher.

I'll check the oil. I have a new air filter in there as well.

I keep the car outside because my garage only fits my truck. Temps durring the winter here are between 40-65deg average with some colder and some hotter days mixed in and lots of rain. I'm only about 50-200ft. above sea level so density altitude isnt too bad.

Lately temps have been 58-86deg low/high.

I don't expect the high milage of most of the people in here because even bone stock I rarely ever did better than 50mpg due to my driving style. I just noticed a big variance from MY average milage.

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One other thing that might affect MPG: I noticed you said you had some electrical problems. If the engine computer (ECU) lost its memory from a bad electrical connection, it might be relearining how you drive. A few people here reported drastically lower MPG after ECU reprogramming, until the computer learned about your driving again.

Don't sweat it for now, what with all the changes Dr. Fusco mentioned. If it's still bad after 1000 miles, it may be dealer time. Oh, and dump some Chevron injector cleaner in the tank. Good reports of better MPG...

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Our temperatures here in Sacramento are still in the 50s at night and it warms into the low 80s during the day - which is normal for October . . . so that isn't the problem.

Just this week I did the Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner thing.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=330154

I went from 50 – 51 MPG to an all time high of 56.2. Give it a try. It can't hurt. And it hurts even less with a box of four at Costco. ;)

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try the injector cleaner as well.

I drove 150 miles yesterday with similar driving styles and speeds of 70-75mph and I'm still hitting 40-42mpg.

I'll report back after more driving but herer shortly the temps will begin to fall and the rains will come so milage will naturally drop.

12. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Oct 10 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]330504[/snapback]</div>

The computer has to relearn how you drive?

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Oct 10 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]330586[/snapback]</div>

May be similar to how a car has to relearn driving parameters for max efficiency and driveability. IE in racing our Corvettes, Camaros and trucks (all the same computer systems) if you reflash the computer it usually takes about 50 or so miles before the computer as fully "learned" and driveability is set.

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Simply put, the car attempts to learn your driving habbits to maximize mileage and minimize emissions. Imagine two different styles: the first likes to jack-rabbit off the start, then glide down until accelerating up to speed again, while the second goes real easy from the start and maintains a constant speed.

For the first user, the car would learn to shut down the ICE as soon as the pressure was released on the gas pedal. For the second, the car probably wouldn't be that quick, as it would expect to need it again a few seconds later.

This is obviously a very simplified example. the computers do a lot of fine tuning, probably not too much that would be as obvious as i described. But you get the idea.

15. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 10 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]330608[/snapback]</div>

That is wicked cool! I always thought the only thing the computer knew how to do was manage what the accelrator was telling it at any given time. I didn't realize it could adjust to different drving patterns consistently. I love this car more each day. I am going to convince mine that I am the man! :lol: I'm not getting the 50MPG yet, so my car is obvoiusly,..... not sold on me!

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just keep in mind that it can't tell when different people are driving, so it can't switch back and forth. instead, if you leave town for a while and someone else drives it, their more recent history will slowly retrain the computer until it "forgets" about you... then you might end up with worse mileage when you get back, since it learned on someone else while you were away.

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 10 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]330779[/snapback]</div>
    This sounds like an excellent argument for not lending out your car! :lol:

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Didn't you just purchase new fancy tires? Could this be the cause of the drop to your mileage?

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not so much learning how *you* drive, it's learning how to
    apply long-term trim to the fuel maps. That can take a few days,
    and in the case of the Prius may be affected by the way you drive
    in the meantime. But it shouldn't take very long. I've depowered
    my ECM many a time and gone right back out holding 70+ mpg average
    over arbitrary lengths of backroads in nice weather, so I don't
    think the effect is all that profound.
    I have never been shown any hard evidence for the "driver learning"
    thing. Look for other changes, I'd say...
    _H*

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Oct 10 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]330813[/snapback]</div>
    I also changed my Prius shoes for 215/45/17" and noticed a FE drop of 6.5 mpg. Now I'm back with the original rims and tires for a week or a full gas tank as a test to confirm my lower mpg's. ;)
    Besides the consecuence of FE, I love my wheels........... B)

Attached Files: