1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas milage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Denise Novak, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Denise Novak

Denise Novak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I own a 2008 Prius and was really happy with both the gas milage of average of 48-51. In turn I just purchased a 2010 Prius V and have not seen more then 42 so far. They boost having an average of 48-55 but I have yet to see that. I live in California and the weather is mostly warm all the time. I thought I might be getting better then what I already saw from the older version. Any suggestions?

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Prius v (lower case) wagon was introduced in 2012. So you might want to post in the gen III forum.

Off the top of my head I would suggest you have the brakes checked to see if they are stuck on, and look into a dongle and torque app to check on the battery health, and oil for overfill.

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    42 is low even for a car with the 17inch wheels. I would check the usual suspects, tire pressures, oil level, even front end alignment, but before you do all that, drive it for al least two tanks that you fill yourself and check you mileage manually, if it is still that low, then check the above, also I'm surprised your 08 did as well as 51, that is high for that model year, good luck.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! how many miles on her? what model tyres? 17's will cost you a few mpg, even though there is only one sticker for all packages.

a used car is an unknown quantity until test driven. that's why we always recommend resetting the trip meter and taking them for a good long drive under varied conditions before buying.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    42 for a v wagon is about average according to fuelly. And matches my 31k mile average. My son has the hatchback and does better. Size, weight and different gearing take its toll with the v. Just back from a 300 mile trip to the beach with two kids and all their stuff plus wife I couldn't do in the hatch, comfortably in the v and in 90+ weather averaged slightly better. Drove moderately but with no special techniques. Cruise and Auto HVAC. I know some report better MPG.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three