1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by russgolf, Jun 24, 2008.

1. russgolf

russgolf New Member

I have checked my milage on every tank on my 2007 Touring. On the last 4 tanks I have noticed that the milage shown ontthe computer is 4 to 5 miles different than what I compute by dividing galons into miles. Ifilled up today and the computer showed 356 mi. with 50.4 mpg however when I filled up it took7.83 galons which computes to 45.6. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Almost everyone (it happens to my 2006 regularly). Search for "guess gauge" and you'll find a plethora of answers.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :frusty: Arrrggggg! This has to be the most often asked question. We should make the answer part of the signing-up process.

Okay, deep breath; I'm back in control. The N.A. models of the Prius have a bladder in the fuel tank. The bladder does good things for the environment, but it causes the usable volume of the fuel tank to vary from fill to fill. The result of this is that your manual calculations are unreliable - unreliable to the point of being useless. The only way to get useful manual mileage calculations is to do them over a very large number of tanks. This spreads out the error term, reducing it to a manageable level. How many tanks? It depends on how much accuracy you need. As a starter I would say you need at least ten tanks.

Another thing to keep in mind is the accuracy of fuel pumps. Your manual calculations are based on the volume reported by the gas station's pumps. The pumps are fairly good, but not perfect, and the error in gas station pumps tends to be one sided.

Tom

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm with Tom!!! I do not want to be annoyed with new members over something so silly as repeated posts but this does get annoying. Can we help them out by posting it as a bold sticky in this forum please?

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the benefit of the OP, here are my tank-to-tank fillups and differences between the MFD and calculated MPG figures since October. The "weighted difference" is weighted based on miles per tank, and the cumulative difference averages that column.

[​IMG]

6. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To the OP one gallon out of eight is 12.5%. So, if you don't top-off to the exact same point it is easy to have an error as high as that.

In ten months my total difference between theoretical and actual is 3%.