1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Mileage, exceedng EPA estimates?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Kaibz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Kaibz

Kaibz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius and regularly get anywhere between 54 and 61 mpg, substantially higher than the EPA estimates. For the most part, this is attributable to learning how best to drive the Prius, i.e. pulse & glide, over inflate tires, block grill in winter, etc…

Is the same true for the Camry? I’m averaging about 57 mpg in my Prius, about 25% more than the 45 mpg EPA estimate, is it possible to do the same in the Camry, can the same increase in fuel efficiency be attained in the Hybrid by “learning†how to drive it more efficiently, i.e., 25% over EPA estimates?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be surprised but the TCH is harder to P&G. I've tried. I ended up cheating and shifting to N :p

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have a Camry so I don't know but inflating the tires should improve FE on any car. If the Camry's engine compartment is designed to retain sufficient heat then grill blocking won't help. The driving style will definitely help. Coasting to a stop instead of braking, driving at a slower, constant speed rather than accelerating & decelerating will benefit any car.

4. Kaibz

Kaibz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Not exactly sure why I’m so irritated by this post, but I am, or why I feel the need to post a reply, but I do.

“Don’t have a Camry so I don’t know…†After typing that intro did it ever occur to you that maybe you were not the right person to post a reply? Do you really think there is anyone out there who believes that over inflating tires will only help FE on a hybrid? I suppose I can take partial blame for that one by including tire pressure in the parenthetical in the original question.

Or how about this great insight, “If the Camry’s engine compartment is designed to retain sufficient heat then grill blocking won’t help.†That is really helpful, thanks! Do you think there is anyone out there who blocks their grill that doesn’t understand that concept? Did you know that if gravity didn’t apply to the Camry hybrid it would get better FE?

I suppose with 1793 total posts it’s a little difficult to hit a home run each time.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think Jim was answering this part of your post. I don't quite get why you are so irritated at his answer.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm.. I don't understand either. Not every Prius owner has a TCH.

7. b777

b777 New Member

I have both; Prius & Camry Hybrid. I average between 38-40mpg, but when I compare the MFD mpg to what I actually put in the tank it comes out around 33MPG. Don't know why either. The best I have seen on our Prius is 50 and never have been able to do better. Maybe their just not broken in yet. Only 6,000 miles on each in a year.

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suppose we all have our bad days. I certainly have seen a couple of mine turn in to "difficult" posts.

Jim has offered many helpful insights and comments. He may even have better insight on his good days.

Please take a breather on the bad days, if possible, and detain the urge to vent like this.

BTW, I really have no idea if the Camry's gasoline engine is Atkinson or Otto-cycle, and that, combined with the design of the engine compartment, really could have a significant impact on your ability to get higher-than-EPA mileage -- particularly if you have many short trips and/or live in a more temperate climate.

All the best to you and keep posting.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's on the Atkinson Cycle.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Learn somethin' new ever day.

So . . . Is the Camry's engine compartment designed to retain heat better than the Prius's front box?

11. matt213213

matt213213 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can tell you I can easily get between 40-42 on pretty much every tank of gas, though I am pretty good on the way I drive.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That I don't know.

13. acdii

acdii Active Member

When I test drove the Camry last night, I was able to get it into a glide far easier than when I had the Prius. The pedal was overly sensitive and would kick the engine in with the slightest touch, but the camry seemed to not have that problem. I also see that I can get it between 45-50 MPG on the display doing 55 with light throttle to maintain the speed, so I should have a good idea of what I can expect after a few days of driving. Im picking it up tonight.

14. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I earned 48 mpg this winter. Now back up to 55 mpg with warmer temperatures. With even warmer temperatures, fuel economy will be back to 60+.

15. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've personally found that now the EPA estimates under estimate. They used to over-estimate. I guess under is better than over? I consistently get over 50mpg and I'm certainly not a slow driver. I'm actually at 56.1 with 150 miles on this tank. I have a 2008 Jeep SRT8 as well and it's rated 11 (might be 12) in the city and I consistently get about 13.6-13.8 driving like an idiot in it. That's my play car and I only take it out for fun and I still get better than the ETA estimate.

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

Well I have my new car home tonight, not only did I get it for under MSRP, I also get a $1000 debit card from the lender. The finance went from 5.9 to 6.39, but that is only a $180 difference over the life of the loan. So far after 60 miles of driving I am seeing 40.7 on the tank. Much better than I had hoped for. It far exceeds what the EPA is rating it at.

17. Kaibz

Kaibz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

In the Camry hybrid? That's amazing!

18. acdii

acdii Active Member

First week update, the first tank got me 33.9 MPG. So far on the second tank the display is showing 36.4, better than the last tank, so I should be getting a bit better on this one. It is taking me a little while to get the hang of driving the Hybrid again, but finding it glides better than the Prius, the pedal isn't as sensitive as my Prius was, so I can push a little more on the go pedal and keep it on battery than I could in the other car, which is helping.

19. retread

retread New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I own a 2007 TCH, and noticed a significant leap in fuel economy when I pumped up my tires really high (sorry, can't say psi lest I'm deemed a retread).

Part of the reason I'm doing better could be that I am conscious of the car much more, due to the light steering and harsher ride, and thus tend to remember to P&G etc. more often. I feel this car is a bit of a boat, especially compared to my 2000 TDI Golf, so it's easy to just slosh along.

Best tank average so far has been 6.9 l/100 km, and that took a lot of effort. Usually up around 8.3!

20. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'd have to be driving at 85mph into a head wind to not exceed the estimated 34mpg. We did 80mph+ for most of a 300 mile trip and got 37mpg.