1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas mileage experience with 205/60R15 tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dstrevel, Sep 13, 2006.

1. dstrevel

dstrevel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All posts and replies I've seen here suggest that replacement tires such as Goodyear TripleTreds, GY ComforTreds, Michelin Pilot Exaltos, etc. would all improve grip and handling. There is also a lot of support for installing slightly wider tires. Searching for tires that would turn slightly fewer revs per mile, thereby somewhat correcting my current speedometer error, I see the GY ComforTred 205/60TR15 and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 205/60HR15. These would turn about one-half percent to one percent fewer revs.
    From those who have tried 205/60 tires, what are the results on your gas mileage? Does the wider width or possibly softer rubber compound result in lower mileage, after correction for the difference in revs per mile?
    Since these tires would mean moving from the "S"-rated GY Integrity to the "T"-rated ComforTred or the "H"-rated Michelin, what do you see as the benefits and drawbacks of the higher-performance tires, that certainly must be described as optional on a car driven with the modest acceleration, turning, and braking that I and most Prius drivers do?

2. apadyk

apadyk New Member

I replaced the oem Integrity tires with 205 miles on them. I think I may have filled the gas tank just before I did that but really can't remember for sure. Anyway, I had driven a friend's Prius with the stock tires for a week before getting ours . His car at the time had 6k miles on it and we averaged about 47 mpg around here in the mountains of Western N.C. I'm sure his tires were inflated to whatever the dealer set them to though I don't know what that was.

Our car with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 205/60/15 is getting 46 mpg (calculated) but I have been taking many short trips lately which really seem to hurt the average. I did see 52.3 mpg average on I40 with 2 bikes on the hitch mount rack behind the car. I have the Michelins set to 40/38 right now. The car has 1500 miles on it.

I have absolutely no regrets with these tires. Should they wear out in 20k I might think again though. They are rated at 45k. They are very quiet, smooth and handle great. Even though I live in the mountains, the car most likely will not see much use in the snow. I have a 4 wheel drive for that if needed.

One thing I did notice is acceleration off the line is just a bit slower, perhaps due to the extra weight of the tires. Also, the car doesn't seem to roll as freely on moderate downhills. The tires are obviously of higher rolling resistance. Neither issue is a big deal.

I am a pretty conservative driver but safety is a big concern for me. I had some difficulties with the handling of the stock tires on the mountain roads and wet traction is important. I think the Exalto solved both problems and is quieter and smoother too.

Hope that helps.