1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas mileage in the rain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jkash, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been raining a lot in Los Angeles the last two weeks plus. My mileage has taken a bit of a hit. Does the rain cause mileage to drop?

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed quite a hit in the rain, as well. I'm just guessing, but maybe the extra energy required to displace the water from between the tires and road surface does it.

3. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Also, having to use the defroster. I've noticed the ICE kicks in when the defroster is going. The windshield wipers probably don't draw that much juice. :)

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the extra drag cost about 1 1/2 -2 mpg loss. Living here on the wet coast in heavy rain you do notice it

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash\";p=\"61559)</div>
    Yup, if it's heavy rain (standing water on the roads, etc) it can be big.

Give me some idea of your route...speed mostly and what your AC settings are and I'll try to give you an idea of what impact you'll have (dry vs wet) using the simulator program.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

Around here, any precip means near constant stop and go traffic.

And while that's good in small bursts in the Prius, driving 30 miles of stop and go traffic isn't so good - the ICE has to kick in to charge up the battery, but it's not being used to it's full efficency since traffic is at a crawl.

Perhaps this is also part of the problem you're encountering?

-m.

7. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of my driving the last two weeks has been on the freeway. About half of that has been in the rain. I have the fan set on low but the AC is not on. I have had to use the defrost button a lot to defog the windows.
    When it was raining on the freeway, I didn't go much faster than 55. When it was wet but not raining, I drove about 64.

I have also driven in some pretty good rain storms on the street as well as hail. That was interesting.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jeff,

Haven't you been off work for the winter break for the past two weeks? Your driving patterns must be different.

My mileage has been about the same. I filled up yesterday and I got 48.2 on that tank. Only once, the immediately preceding tank at 52.7, did I do substantially better.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

just went back thru my November December spread sheets and it's 2.2 Impmpg, so that's about 1.8 US mpg. That data was the difference for the month of November when it was pretty wet for almost the whole month, a few day's we had over 2 1/1" in 24 hours and the route is the same all the time. Temps were within a few degrees. Heater/ A/C settings the same and for the most part traffic patterns the same other than one day were I had to take a different route because of a serious accident that close the bridge that I normally take. It's slightly longer but at almost the same speed, traffic patterns and the same time because we always have a 1 mile crawl to the bridge the other way just drive. The slow crawl almost never gets me to S4 in the winter. Nomally get the ICE to 70C just as I get to the bridge. And if it's there before the traffic never stops completely for the 6 seconds it needs to go into S4 In the summer no problem I'm in S4 before we come to a stop.

10. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't usually use my a/c, but lately, when the windows start to fog up in a heavy rain, I just push the auto a/c button on the steering wheel, and my windows clear very quickly. I know that's probably part of my mileage hit. Most of my driving is on the freeway. I go about 60 unless it's really raining hard, then I slow down.

11. Steve McDaniel

Steve McDaniel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was going to ask the question about rain also.

Last week I had the Tire pressure set to 42/40 and had the oil change and the tires rotated. After that I was expecting to see decent strides in FE. All of last week was rainy and I was thinking that the tire pressure and/or rotation had adversely affected my MPG (I was around 52.6 and went back to about 51.2). I was expecting to get up in the 53 range with the tire pressure change.

Anyway this week no rain, no changes and I am in the 54's for my commute. Then it dawned on me that it might be the rain, and I think this confirms it.

At least I can mark of my driving skills going backwards as the cause!