1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Smack, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Smack

Smack New Member

Hello,
    I live in Atlanta, GA and have been looking @ buying an 05 Prius. My total commute is about 42 miles which is all interstate @ speeds of 75 to 85 MPH. My current rice rocket ave about 22.5. I was hoping to get in the mid 40's with the Prius, however I have heard negative things about the real gas mileage on all Hybrids. Does anyone have close to the same driving pattern?
    Thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on your topgraphy, climate and driving style. I just got my first 50mpg tank (450+ miles) last week after
    a) cool temps
    B) engine break-in period
    c) learning how to drive the Prius efficiently to maximise its potential

"Feathering" is a good technique. Remember, the computer is only as smart as the person who programmed it and the person who uses it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mid-40s are not realistic at those speeds under most situations. Let me give you some example mpgs that you could expect:

The following are the baseline conditions for these calculations:
    85% humidity, no wind, elevation 1005 ft., AC on set to 72, summer fuel, 600lb load, OEM tires.

@50 degrees:
    75mph: 42mpg
    85mph: 37mpg

@70 degrees:
    75mph: 46mpg
    85mph: 40mpg

@90 degrees:
    75mph: 48mpg
    85mph: 42mpg

Now, add a little wind (10mph head wind @45 degree angle) and things get ugly:
    @50 degrees:
    75mph: 35mpg
    85mph: 30mpg

@70 degrees:
    75mph: 37mpg
    85mph: 32mpg

@90 degrees:
    75mph: 40mpg
    85mph: 34mpg

Those numbers are all calculated using a program created by Wayne Brown. And, they should be accurate within a couple mpg depending upon the rest of your commute (city driving distance, warm-up time, etc.). But since you say it's 42 miles and almost all interstate those numbers should be pretty realistic for you. 85mph is the killer here. If you could bring your speed down to 65 or 70mph it would really help the mileage.

BTW, the Prius, and other hybrids, will do as the EPA number suggest, but when you see drop the percentage change may be the same as with a non-hybrid, but you notice it more in the absolute numbers so it seems more dramatic.

For a pure commuter vehicle of the distance you drive the Insight might be worth your consideration...if you don't need seating or cargo space.

4. Smack

Smack New Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the Great info!! The model explains it perfectly. I will try and put it to good use. That is, if I can every get my stingy butt to the Toyota dealership.