1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas now down 45¢ per gallon from 2009 peak!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Midpack, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gotta love it, gas is now down from a 2009 high of $2.899/gal to $2.449/gal where I live - and expected to drop further. Will make it easier/cheaper to buy a 2010 Prius sooner. What's not to like?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unfortunate that some buyers are only drawn to the Prius when gas prices are high. The cost differential based on gas prices/savings alone don't work out compared to the premium. The Prius is so much more - cleaner car, nice features, decent size, etc. I bought my Gen I as much for the geek factor as the gas savings. I've continued to buy them because I believe in the technology and "using less". Spending $15-$20/week in gas vs. $35-$50/week is a big win too - just not the primary motivator.

3. yogadoc

yogadoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1++

4. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with you. But for selfish reasons (I want to buy a 2010 at a discount), I am happy to see gas prices drop again. When gas prices rise again in the years ahead (and I believe they will), it will be a lot harder to buy a Prius but I'll already have mine. And short term, overall the lower gas prices help all of us in this economy.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Without a doubt - $14 is better than $20 for the same amount of fuel in the tank ;)

6. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Rick:

I second everything you just said about the Prius and it being about more than the cost of Fuel. I grew up in a family were my dad had the some of the latest in stereo electronics for the 60's and 70's. At that time I lived in New Brunswick and he had an antenna tower that could pick up radio stations in the state of Maine! It was the love of electronics that drove my dad to do this and it is my love of electronics today - I am a Networking Administrator and Computer Repair (not so much since I have been sick) which always drove me to try and have the newest in Computer Technology - that now has me getting the 2010 Toyota Prius. But I won't deny that the fuel savings, less CO2 emissions are definitely a major bonus that goes along with it!

Edward
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Canada

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From the 2008 year ago it's down about $1.50. People say they don't need to worry about it now but seriously, my gasoline bill is almost nothing now compared to last year when I filled the Expedition to $100 and had to re-enter the card after the pump shut down to finish filling the tank.

8. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guess not in the state of CA. In 2009, gas was most expensive (for me) in mid June @ $3.03/gallon. I filled up about a week ago for $2.94/gallon. Least expensive was in January at $1.89/gallon. In 2008 High was $4.52/gallon low was $1.70/gallon.

9. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Of course, it is impossible to know the future. I do believe its a good bet gas prices will go up again, at least in the long term, whatever that is.
    But for us, MPG was an important, but not the only criteria in buying a Prius. The "geek factor" was there, but I would never buy the first run of a new tech car that had not been proven in years of service. I did that once. Never again.
    Our criteria for buying a car (this may be our last new car) were:

1) Reliability

2) Purchase Price

3) MPG

4) Comfort (my wife is tall, and could not get comfortable driving the 2008 Prius). The 2010 is perfect.

5) Cargo room/ flexibility. (Hatch back with fold down rear seats a big plus for us--we go antiquing)

6) Adequate power/acceleration

Prius scored First or Second for us in all but one of these criteria (price) but was still affordable, compared to compacts and mid-sized cars we checked out.

An unmentioned criteria was "Made in the USA, with Union Labor" No way to make that compatible with the other criteria, unfortunately. That is truly, truly sad.