1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas price soars -- What the "Truck?"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Paying around $4.40-$5 something a gallon on the West Coast, what is up with that??!!

My truck is not happy!

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=US

Gone up a buck a gallon or more in about a month.

Maybe it is Oregon allowing "Self-Serve" :rolleyes:

#1 Stevewoods, Aug 12, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OPEC, mostly SA, cut output last month.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no changes here in the past year or so, still around $3.50 give or take.

my truck is for sale

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Sydney, the price has risen from about A$1.70 a litre to A$2.20 a litre over the past month, so that's almost a 30% rise.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i retract my statement. went by a station that has been $3.40 all summer, now $3.70

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Washington State Carbon Tax, a cap-and-trade program.

https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/publications/detail/cost-of-washingtons-co2-tax-jumps-to-45-cents-per-gallon

"The Washington State Department of Ecology released the results of the second auction of allowances to emit CO2 and prices increased 15 percent to $56.01 per metric ton (MT) of CO2. That translates into about 45 cents per gallon of gasoline and 54 cents per gallon for diesel.

Washington residents will pay about 84% more than California’s price of $30.33 per MT/CO2."

The next auction is August 30th.

#6 fuzzy1, Aug 13, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally beside the point, but I didn't know Americans did that.

In Australia and Britain, a "ton" is imperial (1016 kg) and a "tonne" is metric (1000kg). And an "MT" is a million tonnes. When I first skimmed the post, I thought Washington (Washingtonne?) residents were paying $56.01 per million tonnes, which seemed kind of cheap.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carbon tax? For the most part, Americans don't. I think just a couple Left Coast states do. Nationwide, I believe it is still political suicide.
    In the U.S., there are three. By default in most contexts, a ton is a short ton, 2000 lbs. Either other use needs be clearly specified.

I've become jaded to non-SI uses of prefixes. But I thought that the Brits were among the worst, with many publications using the lower-case 'm' for million, and still often calling Celsius temperature 'centigrade'.

Coming from an engineering house where certain of our products literally had frequency ranges from MHz to mHz -- megahertz to millihertz -- this feels grating. At least I worked in a era when mf for microfarads was mostly banished. While found in ancient documents, the new generation understood the huge potential for confusion with millifarads, so banished 'mF' and 'mf' completely. 1 millifarad capacitors, when such values became available, were listed as 1000 µF or 0.001 F.

#8 fuzzy1, Aug 13, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is, but then I only have a 3 mile commute, and my gas is a buck and a quarter cheaper.

I once said, even in this forum, that my last truck would BE my last truck, but it would seem that el Fato had other plans.
    My venerable 09 GMC is being given to a poorer relative while I struggle now to pay off a '23.
    I still need a truck owing to towing requirements and the need to place nasty cargo outside the cab.
    I sincerely pray that I'm wasting good money on a 10,000lb towing capacity that I will never need but hurricanes and unplanned company transfers have to be planned for in advance. ;)

I'm going to miss that '09 but time and 150,000 miles have taken their toll.

I figure that if gas stays below $10 a gallon I'll keep a full size truck in the rotation.
    When my commute drops to zero or rises above 40, I'll recalculate.

Attached Files: