1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Prices since Prius was introduced...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Nov 15, 2004.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ...in markets outside of Japan.

I used the over 4 years of data collected from my 2 Prius to create this visual summary:

[Broken External Image]:http://john1701a.com/prius/images/Prius_Gas-Prices.gif

It doesn't paint a pretty picture, large price swings and a progressively growing "low" price.

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    excellent work john, the era of cheap gas is over...aviation fuel which is 100LL is now over 3.00/gal...i suspect $3/gal will be here by summer...don ft wayne

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the way, the raw data and graph itself is on the 2004 LIFETIME MPG spreadsheet on my website.

4. bcool

bcool New Member

I derive perverse pleasure from saying to people "I paid 83 cents for gas this morning", and when they say "What?" I say that's how much it's costing me compared to my old car (since the Prius gets about 2x the MPG)...

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    from your graph it looks as if gas has settled on a new plateau that is about 50 cents higher than before.

6. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In other hand, U.S gas price is cheaper than other countries... :roll:
    In Japan right now 120yen /liter, which like a $3.25/gallon

7. jchu

jchu New Member

If we paid as much for gas as the rest of the world no one would buy SUV's. We would also have no economy.

8. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Mid summer, I was reading projections by the gas and oil industry which said it would not be all unlikely that 05 will bring prices closer to 3.00 per gal. and within ten years, prices will be closer to 7.50 per gallon. Doesn't bother me at all, I'd love to see huge jumps in car fuels and lower prices for home heating fuels We need to replace the current economy with an economy that is sustainable to citizens world wide.

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jchu\";p=\"50912)</div>
    Well in U.S must to have own a car because U.S cities doesn't offer solid public transportation... also luck of founds and other reasons...
    But most Asian country or living in Japan like living in NYC which means we have good public transportation. Most of time I don't use my car when head to town unless planning to do major shopping. Beside that really expensive to park(2 bucks for half hour).
    I wish U.S governmentt start thinking to invest better public transportation.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here in North America, we're living in a weird trans-dimensional bubble, at least as far as gas prices go. Unless you're "lucky" enough to live in the Mid East! :p Even Ford Motor Co welcomes much higher gasoline prices, so they won't be "forced" to make pickup trucks and giant SUV's. I used to own a pickup as I did a lot of towing and hauling heavy loads. As soon as that need went away, so did that pickup truck. The "economic" fall-back makes no sense to me or anybody who truly understands Economics (B.Sc Computer Science, double major Economics in my case). The true Cost of something isn't always in dollars and cents. Look at the mess we're in WRT the mid-East just for our desire to have "cheap" oil. The Athabasca Tar Sands in Alberta has proven reserves in excess of the entire mid-East, but the cost to extract is quite a bit higher than conventional sources. Thanks to oligopolistic "market" forces, and the desire for many government agencies to increase tax revenue, we will have to get used to increasing energy prices.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think all the reasons given here can be catagorized in one place...EXCUSES...

if we had been paying more for gas, we would have adapted. that is one thing i will give the human spirit. we mold our environment to suit our needs and not the other way around.

therefore, i contend that the reason we have gas guzzling SUV's is because the economic environment that we control, allows it.

if we had paid more for gas all along like europe then i think life would be much different here. but unfortunately that isnt the case and now we will have to live with the consequences of our actions.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"51007)</div>
    I don't think it is so much about living with consequentialness as it is bending the environment to our needs. We have been doing the latter for a long long time and now we have to adapt to the idea that we must use our intelligence to plan for the future.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    using my inteligence is why i bought a Prius.

funny thing is... in my mind, it just doesnt take very many smarts to realize that its the right thing to do.

its a no-brainer...