1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Savings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jan 16, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    saw this in Autopia blog

Hybrids Save Owners $112 Million
    Now Playing: Fuel
    Topic: Alt Fuel
    I was wondering just how much money and oil has been saved by the drivers of hybrid vehicles, and the good folks at Edmunds.com provided some rough numbers.

Edmunds estimates that the 176,000 hybrid vehicles purchased in 2005 saved their owners approximately $112 million in fuel, based on an average fuel price of $2.32 per gallon. That's money that can be spent on other goods instead of oil (more than 50 percent of which comes from outside the U.S.).

Extrapolating the data for 2006 (this is my back-of-the-envelope calculation, so don't complain to Edmunds) , if we assume that hybrids save approximately 274 gallons per year compared to non-hybrids, then the 256,000 hybrids sold in the last two years will save more than 70 million gallons of gasoline this year.

That translates to 1.7 million barrels of oil. Since another 350,000 or more hybrids will likely be sold this year, for 2007 the savings could reach 4 million barrels. Okay, so it's far from the "potential" ANWR reserves of 5.7 billion, but it helps.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I saved $1200 in gas the first year over my previous SUV. Maybe not a fair comparison, but real world. I did spend about 1/2 of it on toys for the car does that count against my savings?

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just did the arithmetic and the Prius vs my Honda Accord V6 will save me about 200 gal of gas if I drive my normal 12,000 miles per year. At today's gas prices here in Eastern Oregon that will be about $450 per year, and a bit less pollution also.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know exactly how much I've saved compared to my dad's Camry but I've yet to spend Cdn$1,000 on fuel.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, its a small start, but the ball of wax is getting bigger and bigger, and it will soon be a pretty significant figure. 4 million barrels is nothing to sneeze at and the totals will only get bigger.... btw, what is the sign in Ca at?

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In comparison to my Jeep, which I traded in for my Prius and the 30k miles I drive a year, I could save over $3000 a year if prices stick around where they are or rise even further.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you mean gas price? It's currently around 90.6¢/litre to 97.9¢/litre. It drops at night.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

oh no... the I-405 ?? sign... the sign along the freeway in Californeighya that tracks how much gas has been saved by driving a Toyota hybrid

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no idea