1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas-Sippers Sucking Wind As Year Ends

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Dec 26, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/16299256

CNW and Art Spinella are at it again!

"The latest study from the research firm, CNW Marketing, shows that the number of car buyers considering a hybrid has dropped to it's lowest point since August of '05. In the first half of this month, according to CNW, 11.6% of buyers indicated an interest in driving off with a gas-electric hybrid...."

Whether the above is true or not.. it's obvious that CNW is an anti-hybrid shill from the previous junk they've published.

2. Squint

Squint New Member

When news articles confuse "it's" and "its", I basically discount the whole article. Someone who writes professionally yet makes basic grammar mistakes is probably clueless about everything else in the world around them.

3. R32

R32 New Member

Gas prices have dropped so it makes sense that hybrid demand is lower. What's the problem with that article? I guess there's some previous articles that I haven't read but that article on it's own isn't too bad.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I love this line:
    We all know how rock-steady gas prices are and how stable the global economy and oil-producing countries are.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Squint @ Dec 26 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]367046[/snapback]</div>
    Probably uses a spell checker. It irritates me that the spell checker in Word insists on replacing "regardless" with "irregardless". Although I think in looking it up in a dictionary it's indicated that "irregardless" is becoming the accepted spelling. Too many people insisted on using the wrong term, I guess.

Dave M.

6. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yup, I knew I remembered CNW from somewhere...

I don't know about where they are, but gas prices have remained pretty high here, and I'm seeing lots of hybrids on the road. I don't expect demand to be significantly lower.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R32 @ Dec 27 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]367108[/snapback]</div>
    The Problem with the article is the sole source and no confirmation from other sources. Its just plain automobile company advertising disguised as a news article.

Around here there has been a Prius resurgence if the numbers of cars on the road is any indications. Can't drive more than a mile out my door without seeing a different one now. Big difference from the this time last year - when my daily commute of 23 miles would result in seeing a Prius maybe once a week.

8. Squint

Squint New Member

No sane spell checker would flag it's or its. Both are legitimate spellings. Their misuse is entirely human.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Dec 27 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]367163[/snapback]</div>

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Squint @ Dec 27 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]367046[/snapback]</div>
    If you have the Nav system in your prius, have you noticed that the text displayed sometimes makes the same error...?

Personally, I find it really embarassing and do my best to make sure to avoid that screen when I've got passengers in the car...for the same reason that you suggest.

Although the car also says "A program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer." So, perhaps its...its'...it's more of a language thing....?

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 27 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]367334[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't noticed the error, but I'm not surprised. It's probably a mistranslation or that the translators/localizers aren't that proficient w/English. I believe Toyota gets all their nav systems from Denso.

Go to http://www.engrish.com/ if you want to see funny examples of "Engrish". :)

11. Squint

Squint New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 27 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]367334[/snapback]</div>
    I have a hybrid non-NAV Camry.

In the past, I've opened up computer programs in a hex editor to correct spelling and grammar mistakes.