1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas smell when accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Manavjeet Singh, Aug 29, 2024 at 1:56 AM.

1. Manavjeet Singh

Manavjeet Singh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius with 159K miles. I observed this a couple of months back, when the car has been running for 10-15 minutes and I accelerate hard (eg. accelerating on a traffic signal), I can faintly smell gas if the windows are down.

If the windows are up, smell does not enter the cabin.
    I have no engine codes.
    There is no drop in the MPG.
    I observed this just after my oil change. Maybe it was present earlier too, not sure though.
    I thought it could be a loose engine oil cap, but tightening it did not work either.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess with the proper scan tool that can look at freeze frame data you can look at fuel trims and injector cycles and all that sort of thing You could do a few or an oil test to see how much oil is in your fuel and then if that turns up nothing I wouldn't worry about it People's noses aren't really a good judge of problems generally speaking today don't like the smell of fuel oil and gas the new era